[eDebate] one other thing

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Tue Jun 13 22:32:49 CDT 2006

My read (strictly as a member) of the CEDA By-laws seems to indicate that, if ADA adopted a different resolution, ADA tournaments would not be eligible to be CEDA-sanctioned.  That would certainly reduce turnout at ADA tournaments.  Maybe others have a different interpretation, and I certainly hope it doesn't come to this, but I think that's a big problem.

CEDA By-laws, Article 5, section 5
"Section 5: Individual tournament directors may modify time limits or use variants of cross examination and determine which CEDA division(s) (e.g. open, junior, novice, etc.) and other experimental divisions using the CEDA topics and may allow as many teams per school to enter their CEDA divisions as they wish. The tournament is obligated to use the appropriate CEDA topics for the tournament and to follow divisional rules where applicable.."

Note the reference to multiple topics appears to be a relic from the short-lived non-policy division.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University