[eDebate] Calvin Rockefeller

JW Patterson jwpatt00
Tue Jun 20 17:17:23 CDT 2006

Sadly, I'm reporting to those of you who have not heard of the death of
Calvin Rockefeller. Many of you will remember that Calvin debated at the
University of Kentucky from 1988 until 1992, two of those years being the
partner of T.A. McKinney.

Calvin died a few weeks ago of congestive heart failure in Tuscaloosa,
Alabama. He apparently was in the hospital with pneumonia and suffered a
heart attack. A few days after he was discharged from the hospital he
suffered a second, fatal attack at his home.

Calvin came to Kentucky from Shreveport, Louisiana where he had debated for
Caddo Magnet High School. After graduating from Kentucky in 1992 he studied
law at the University of Alabama and practiced in Tuscaloosa until his
death.

Calvin was engaged to be married on July 1. His wife to be had a five year
old daughter from a previous marriage and I am told by several people that
Calvin had become very attached to her.

The last time I saw Calvin was at a gathering of my former debaters in
Lexington three years ago. At that time, he seemed happier than I had ever
seen him. In fact, we all noticed a big difference in his outlook on life. I
spoke with him once or twice after the reunion, but did not have the
opportunity to see him again.

Needless to say, all of us who worked with Calvin and loved him are
devastated by his untimely passing.

JW