[eDebate] stannard caveat

Jake Stromboli infracaninophile
Wed Jun 21 14:58:42 CDT 2006

today, stannard said:

"My feeling about demonstrations at tournaments or on campuses is that they
should be student-organized and led."

be careful with the exclusivity here.   i believe that a better approach is
one of both student and teacher leads.   student led only offers teachers a
comfort zone and alibi when fears of career reprisals dominate their
mindset, i.e. teachers who understand complicity should act irregardless of
a student lead on their team or campus.   michel foucault is an excellent
example of an activist professor who organized protests for students and
with students and i have documented his involvement in the archives as a
critique of "kritical" dabait pedagogy.   he theorized his own role based on
complicity with indefensible policies.

teachers and students face the same disciplinary responses from status quo
campus authorities.   both teachers and students must overcome the mental
obstacles to civil disobedience through the rejection of the identities
established for them by traditional classroom pedagogy.   sit-ins challenge
the teacher and the student at the level of the unknown creating unknown
consequences for one's career.   there is a certain space of freedom that
comes from realizing that one's political existence is more important than
your career and all of the safe assurances it provides.   risk taking is
undervalued in late capitalist life and basically there are none in today's
academy and we must recreate them by challenging their fears and the way
they live based on fear.

many students are future teachers and their lead will effect their
reputation as educators as much as yours.

in many cases, teacher commitments to a sit-in will open the space for
tentative students to follow suit and join the movement.  from there,
students can become involved in the organizing that they would have never
been involved in without their prof taking the risk that showed them
something about life.

as soon as any one group is ready to commit to a sit in, let me know so that
we can start the documentary film process (w or w/o reed) with the early
stages of your organizing as a pedagogical tool for future generations of
protestors if you choose to be so inclined to participating in the
documentary.

the database, i hope will include plenty of analysis like maybe gordon
mitchell's forthcoming paper on the new iran "office of special plans" ( i
don't know if he is actually writing that paper but given his previous paper
and seymour hersch's article on the prospect of an iran war, i hope he is
writing it).   we also need a really refined selection of evidence that
presents the arguments best against the war.