[eDebate] lauria duped by corallo

Jake Stromboli infracaninophile
Wed Jun 21 20:06:55 CDT 2006

we nailed another prediction.   where's the corallo cell phone records?
how 'bout that rove team found out 'bout lauria-leopold exchange via
surveillance arg?  by the way, next murray waas article do up...cheney=lady
macbeth...

http://forum.truthout.org/blog/story/2006/6/21/184238/308

The Post's Curious Interest in Leopold and TO

By Marc Ash,

Wed Jun 21st, 2006 at 06:42:38 PM EDT :: Fitzgerald Investigation

On Sunday, The Washington Post published an article titled, "My Unwitting
Role in the Rove 'Scoop'" by Joe Lauria. It's a hit piece, plain and simple.

For the record, Jason Leopold is not acting alone on the Rove indictment
story. All of TO's senior editors are participating in interviewing sources,
verifying facts and vetting every sentence published before the story goes
live.

We find it curious that The Washington Post has taken such a keen interest
in Jason Leopold and TO. The Lauria piece is only the latest in a series of
pieces published by Post editors attacking - in a very personal manner -
Jason Leopold and TO. But there has been no critical assessment of the facts
we have reported. Why? Who is directing this smear campaign at the Post and
why?

A Rather Backhanded Assault

The Post published Lauria's article as an opinion piece, but Lauria used
that platform to present fact - fact without documentation. In reference to
our report that a grand jury has returned an indictment of Karl Rove (a
report that we do stand by), Lauria writes, "The report set off hysteria on
the Internet, and the mainstream media scrambled to nail it down. Only ...
it wasn't true." He is stating - as a fact - a premise that he does not even
attempt to document or substantiate, and the Post is a willing host.

The basis for Lauria's complaint is that Jason Leopold reportedly used
Lauria's name to get Karl Rove's spokesman Mark Corallo on the phone ...
according to, you guessed it, Corallo. For the record, I think Mark Corallo
is doing a brilliant job of representing Karl Rove's best interests as his
interface with the media. I also think it's fair to say that The Washington
Post is being way too cooperative - unless they, too, are beholden to Mr.
Rove? Everybody hold your breaths waiting for a response from the Post's
ombudsman on that one.

For the record, since the entire basis for Lauria's story is a poorly
defined, and factually uncorroborated version of events promulgated by Karl
Rove's public relations contractor, I think Lauria's getting a free ride to
notoriety from the Post. Apparently Lauria recognized that there was a hot
market for hit pieces on Jason Leopold and TO. The Washington Post was
buying, and Lauria was all to happy to cash in.

We urge The Post and Lauria to meet the same standard that we have been held
to these past weeks - account for your statements, please.