[eDebate] UNI Ulrich Season Opener Invite

jacob thompson jakethompsondebate
Fri Jun 23 14:50:37 CDT 2006

The attached version of the invite is "official" and has important items in
bold.
We hope to see many of you at UNI in September!

Jake

Dear Colleagues:

The University of Northern Iowa is pleased to invite you and your students
to our annual Ulrich Season Opener Debate Tournament. This year, we continue
on our regular weekend; we will hold the 2006 UNI Ulrich Season Opener on
September 16-18.

We believe that there are several reasons that you should consider attending
the UNI tournament this year.

1) COST-Located in the center of the country in a town with reasonable
prices, attending the UNI tournament can SAVE YOUR TEAM A SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT
OF MONEY.  Our hotel rooms are a mere $72 per double/double room per night
(compared to almost $100 at other tournaments).  Our entry fees are only $75
per team in all divisions (compared to $100 per team at other tournaments).
Parking in the hotel and on campus is FREE (compared to at least $10 per day
per vehicle at other tournaments).  And, there is FREE WIRELESS AT THE
TOURNAMENT (in Lang Hall on Saturday and Sunday) and IN THE TOURNAMENT HOTEL
AND AT THE CONVENTION CENTER where out-rounds will occur.

2) COMPETITIVE POOL OF TEAMS- ?We have evidence, Juuudge?? In 2003 28
varsity and 13 junior varsity teams competed at the Ulrich season opener.
In 2004 33 varsity and 12 junior varsity teams competed at the Ulrich season
opener.  In 2005 45 varsity teams and 14 junior varsity teams competed at
the Ulrich Season Opener.  We expect that clear trend in attendance growth
to continue this year and are shooting for at least 50 entrants in the
varsity division.  I have begun securing guaranteed attendance form several
squads who will be bringing all of their teams (including potential pre-bid
contenders) to the Ulrich, and I intend to post updates on teams who will be
attending to e-debate.  Given the fact that Cate and I have been hounding
DOFs for over a month, we expect that the 2006 season opener will host a
highly competitive field of entrants.

3) WE WILL RUN ON TIME-Cate runs a tight ship (trust me, I know), so our
tournament is virtually guaranteed to RUN ON TIME.  We pledge that you walk
out of the building after round 4 on Saturday and it will still be daylight.
  On Sunday there will be no need to search for your dinner at 10:00 p.m.,
and there will be no need to stay up until 3:00 a.m. for finals.

4) COMPREHENSIVE CASELIST-We will provide a comprehensive case list, in both
print and electronic formats updated daily.

5) HOSPITALITY-Say what you will about Iowa, but Iowans are
reeeeeeaaaaaaaally nice.  NEW THIS YEAR-- I have worked out an interesting
menu of inexpensive drink specials in available (for those of legal age) in
the Hotel Bar.  We promise a very nice coaches reception on Friday, as well
as breakfast, delicious free trade shade grown organic hot coffee, and a
cornucopia of snacks all 3 days.  There are several very tasty lunch options
within a few minutes walk from campus.

6) GREAT UNIVERSITY FACILITIES-The bulk of the tournament will be in lovely
Lang Hall.  Again, this year, we will have FREE INTERNET ACCESS on campus
for all both Saturday and Sunday.  The tournament will be held in 3 or 4
buildings, and all of the buildings are within 100 yards of each other.

7) ONLINE ENTRY- We will again use the entry webpage Bruschke has developed.

To enter the tournament, go to:
http://commweb.fullerton.edu/jbruschke/web/index.aspx

So, think about sending your teams to UNI this year.  The tournament will be
INEXPENSIVE, COMPETITIVE, and RUN ON TIME.  We'd love to have you join us
for the Ulrich Season Opener tournament.

Additional details about the tournament appear later in this invitation.

Please call if you have any questions. We look forward to welcoming you to
our campus in September.

Sincerely,

Jacob Thompson
Director of Forensics
(319) 273-7200
jacob.thompson at uni.edu

Cate Palczewski
Director of Debate
(319) 273-2714
palczewski at uni.edu

UNI HOTEL INFORMATION:

The Tournament Hotel for the UNI tournament will be the Ramada Inn and
Convention Center, at 4th and Commercial in Waterloo (just a 15 minute drive
to UNI). THIS YEAR BOTH THE TOURNAMENT HOTEL AND CONVENTION CENTER HAVE FREE
WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS.  Registration for the debate tournament (Friday,
September 15), release of debate pairings each morning, and the coaches'
reception in the evening, will all be held at the Ramada Inn.

Please contact the Ramada Inn directly for reservations: (319) 233-7560.
When making reservations SPEAK ONLY TO SARAH MEYER OR MICHELLE SIMON (front
desk manager and assistant manager, respectively).  They are available
Monday 8am-5pm, Tuesday through Friday 8am-10pm, and Saturday 6 am-2pm, if
Sarah or Michelle are not available leave a detailed voicemail message and
they will return your call ASAP.

The tournament rate is a flat $72.00 per room. When you call, tell them you
are attending the UNI Season Opener Debate Tournament. The hotel is only
guaranteeing the availability of our block through Friday September 8, so
make your reservations early. Please plan on staying at the Ramada, as we
need to use the block of rooms to maintain complementary access to the
Convention Center (which helps keep our costs low).  For questions about the
Ramada's tax exemption policy please call the Ramada and ask for Sandy
Thomas.  For more information on the Ramada or for driving directions please
visit their website: www.ramadawaterloo.com (please do not use the web site
or the Ramada 800 number to make reservations?it will only create confusion?
To get the block discount rate you must call the hotel directly and speak to
Sarah Meyer or Michelle Simon).  If you have to consolidate or drop rooms,
please let the Ramada know ASAP, so that other teams are able to use those
rooms in our block.  If you have any trouble with the hotel, please let me
(Jake) know.  Sandy Thomas now is our primary contact (replacing Sarah
Barth) at the Ramada Inn and is also happy to help you solve any issues that
may arise.  Feel free to contact her directly at (319) 236-9502 or via
email- sthomas at ramadawaterloo.com.

ENTRY INFORMATION

As in past years we will be offering an open, junior varsity, and novice
division in policy debate. Given any viability for a novice-only division,
we will not collapse the novice and JV divisions.  As in the past, we
anticipate compiling an exhaustive list of each school's affirmative and
negative arguments, and distributing a printed or electronic copy of the
case list to each school attending the tournament, with a preliminary list
distributed along with pairings on day 2.  Tab room: As usual, Cate
Palczewski will be running the tab room for the tournament.

We are delighted to again start the season by using the joint CEDA-NDT
policy topic.  The time limits will be 9-3-6, with 10 minutes of preparation
time per team.

Deadline: The entry deadline is Wednesday, September 13, at 4:00 pm, cst.

Use the Bruschke webpage:
http://commweb.fullerton.edu/jbruschke/web/index.aspx

Fees: This year the registration fee will be the low-low cost of $75.00 per
team.

Judging: Each school is expected to provide qualified judges to accompany
their teams. Each school is responsible for providing four rounds of judging
for each team entered. All judges are committed through octafinals, or one
round beyond which their team is eliminated. Judges should be able to cover
a school's commitment despite potential scheduling constraints (for example,
a judge committed for 8 rounds who restricts him/herself to the JV division
only is not mathematically useful for all 8 rounds). We don't have a very
large pool of hired judges that are available in Cedar Falls/Waterloo, so
please try to find someone rather than hiring from us. If you do need to
hire a judge, the fee will be $100.00 per team. If you must hire a judge
from us, please give us at least a week's advance notice to try to locate
someone. If you have extra judges available from your school, please let us
know--we will almost certainly hire them for as many rounds as they want to
work.

Note that UNI uses preference/strike sheets for preliminary and elimination
debate rounds.  Preferences will not be available on the Bruschke system
because of the vast quantity of changes made in judging, given that this is
the first tournament of the year.  Preference sheets will be available at
registration.  We will make every effort to have strikes go into effect in
round one, and guarantee that they will be in effect by round three.
Preferences will take effect in round 4. All judges at the tournament are
expected to render a decision where they indicate one, and only one, team
that won the round (did the better job of debating). Judges' ballots not
adhering to this principle will be "corrected" by the tab room through use
of a coin flip.

Elimination rounds: As per the ?new? CEDA rule, given an adequate number of
teams, and given available judging for the first and second elimination
debates, we will clear half of the field in the varsity division, as long as
those teams have (at least) a .500 record.

We will not break brackets in elimination rounds. We plan on using side
equalization in elimination rounds. For a description of the system to be
used, an explanation of 2001's problem, and an analysis of the various
systems go to www.uni.edu/palczews/sideeq.

Awards: Silver awards will be provided to all teams participating in the
elimination rounds, and to the top speakers in each division.

Unusual situations: We believe in maximizing the competitive opportunities
for eligible students. Thus, if two schools each have an extra debater, we
would allow a combined team from two institutions to compete in the
preliminary rounds of the tournament, and would allow those individuals to
be eligible to receive speaker awards. They will not be allowed to advance
to elimination debates in the open division.

UNI Transportation Information

By Air: Waterloo/Cedar Falls is served by several commuter airlines. If you
don't mind small propjets, this airport might offer the best rates. The
Cedar Rapids airport is approximately an hour from Cedar Falls, offering jet
service by most major carriers. Other airports used by tournament
participants in the past have included Des Moines, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and
Chicago.

Ground Transportation: If you are flying, we encourage you to make van or
mini-van reservations early. Due to on-campus regulations regarding
university vehicles, we will not be able to provide local transportation.
However, the area taxis operate at reasonable rates, and many of the local
hotels offer airport transportation.

By Car: From Chicago, take the Northwest Tollway (I-90) to U.S. 20. From
Central Illinois or the Quad Cities, take I-80 to I-380 to U.S. 20. From Des
Moines, take I35 North to US20 East (there is a more complicated route that
is quicker. If you are up for an adventure, email Cate). From Minnesota,
take I35 to U.S. 218 south.

Parking: Parking at the structure across the street from the Ramada is free,
and you should have no problem parking on-campus on Saturday or Sunday.

UNI Team Policy Debate Schedule:

Friday, September 15

7:00 - 10:00 p.m. Registration and Coaches Reception, Ramada Inn Waterloo.

Saturday, September 16

7:00 a.m. Pairings Released, Rounds 1 & 2, Ramada Inn Waterloo

7:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast, UNI Campus, LANG HALL

8:00 a.m. Round 1 Required Starting Time

10:30 a.m. Round 2 Required Starting Time

All Round 1 ballots should be in, Rounds 3 & 4 released

1:00 p.m. Lunch, All Round 2 ballots should be in

2:00 p.m. Round 3 Required Starting Time

4:30 p.m. Round 4 Required Starting Time, All Round 3 ballots should be in

7:00 p.m. All Round 4 ballots should be in

Sunday, September 17

7:00 a.m. Pairings Released, Rounds 5 & 6, Ramada Inn Waterloo

7:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast, UNI Campus, LANG HALL

8:00 a.m. Round 5 Required Starting time

10:30 a.m. Round 6 Required Starting time, All Round 5 ballots should be in

1:00 p.m. Lunch. All Round 6 ballots should be in

2:00 p.m. Pairings Released, Round 7

2:30 p.m. Round 7 Required Starting Time

5:00 p.m. All ballots should be in

6:00 p.m. Pairings Released, Round 8

6:30 p.m. Round 8 Required Starting Time

9:00 p.m. All ballots should be in

A list of teams participating in elimination rounds and the judges and
standby judges will be posted at the Ramada Inn Waterloo as soon as possible
after the conclusion of Round 8.

Monday, September 19 -- We have adhered to the following general elimination
round schedule, pretty much forever:

7:00 a.m. Pairings Released, Ramada Inn Waterloo

7:30 a.m. Continental Breakfast, Waterloo Convention Center

8:00 a.m. First Elimination Round Required Starting Time, Waterloo
Convention Center

11:00 a.m. Speaker awards, awards for first elimination round

Noon Second Elimination Round Required Starting Time

3:00 p.m. Third Elimination Round Required Starting Time

6:00 p.m. Fourth Elimination Round Required Starting Time

9:00 p.m. Final Elimination Round Required Starting Time

REMINDER: We will be using Lang Hall as the tournament headquarters
location. We appreciate the efforts people made during the last few years to
protect this new space. Once again we ask that tournament participants DO
NOT MOVE THE TECHNOLOGY CARTS IN LANG HALL, OR PLACE FOOD AND DRINK NEAR
THESE CARTS.

Eligibility Requirements:

Open: Any undergraduate student meeting AFA eligibility requirements (don?t
forget?those rules have recently changed, consult the AFA web site for more
information) may participate in the Open Division. 8 preliminary rounds, and
elimination rounds occur as described above.

Junior Varsity: The Junior Varsity Division will be restricted to students
meeting CEDA eligibility requirements. Preliminary rounds and elimination
rounds will be appropriate for division size (we expect to clear all teams
with a winning record and, in the case of a partial bracket composed of
teams with a winning record, sufficient teams to complete the bracket).