[eDebate] TC reform - proposal

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Sat Jun 3 13:56:41 CDT 2006

i strongly support the main thrust of tim's proposal.

we need to be voting on resolutions rather than broad topic areas like "courts." that will ensure a longer period of time for the community to check the viability of those resolutions as well as ensure that the community gets resolutions that it really voted for.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Pacedebate at aol.com
  To: edebate at ndtceda.com
  Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:49 AM
  Subject: [eDebate] TC reform - proposal

  I received some positive feedback about my ideas for TC reform and so here is a proposal with specific amendments to the constitution spelled out at the bottom.
  The idea is that anyone who submits a wording paper would be able to get it put on the ballot for the first vote. My proposal would remove the "area" vote.
  Everyone that met the minimum standards for a wording paper would have their proposal on the first ballot. Up to this point the only role of the TC would be to make sure that some wording papers were written. If there are a lot of wording papers then the TC wouldn't really have to do anything. If there weren't any people willing to write wording papers it would be the responsibility of the TC to write wording papers.
  After the first vote the three top wording papers would then be "sent" to the topic committee. The three people/groups who wrote the top three wording papers would be ensured that their wording would appear on the final ballot.
  Once the top three are sent to the TC the TC would meet in June, like they do now, and they could suggest amendments to the original wording. The writer(s) of the wording paper could veto those amendments. The TC would also be allowed to add one or two wordings to each winning paper. So the final ballot would end up with as many as nine and as few as three resolutions.

  Two advantages over the status quo:
  1) This would ensure that people who voted for an "area" would end up with at least one option that reflected what they had voted for. That to me solves one of the biggest problems with the current process, which is that people vote for an area and then hate the wordings that end up on the ballot for that area.
  2) It would focus the topic committee's task. Anyone who watched even a small amount of the TC webcast should have left with the understanding that despite the enormous amount of work the TC had done to prepare for the meeting they were still really pressed for time to get everything done they wanted to accomplish. One of the critical assumptions this committee made was that "overrule a decision" will focus this topic. The TC is confident that phrase will both create a limit on the aff and establish core ground for the negative. If the "edebate masses" reach a consensus they are wrong about that assumption the community will have one option left "Area #1 (first amendment)" topic.

  I think this proposal does necessitate formalizing what constitutes a "wording paper". I don't think a one paragraph post to edebate should count as a wording paper. In the actual amendment to the CEDA constitution that I have outlined below I specified what constitutes a wording paper although that could be changed to say: "The topic committee will create a document formulating minimum standards for wording papers"

  A motion to replace Section 2 and 3 of Article IV of the CEDA Constitution:

  Article IV. Topic Selection

  A. Balloting

  1. No later than June 1 the topic committee will report to the Executive Secretary no fewer than four wording papers to be voted upon by the general membership. No later than early July the committee will report to the Executive Secretary no fewer than three and no more than nine wordings for final balloting.
  2. After phase one balloting, as outlined in section 3, the topic committee will create one or two additional resolutions that correspond to each of the winning wording papers. The topic committee may also suggest wording changes to the original wording in each paper however, the author(s) of that wording paper will have final say over at least one of the resolutions appearing on the final ballot. This process will create the final ballot of at least three but no more than nine resolutions.

  B. Wording papers
  1. To be officially recognized as a "wording paper" the document must being with a specific resolution that would conform to traditional standards of resolutions selected as CEDA topics. The author(s) must include a section on potential affirmatives and potential negative ground.
  2. Any person or group submitting a wording paper to the topic committee prior to May 15th that conforms to the above standards will be placed on the first topic balloting.

  Section 3

  The Executive Secretary will distribute a phase one topic selection ballot to all CEDA members in early June. Only mailed, faxed, emailed or password protected website ballots received by the deadline designated by the Executive Secretary will be accepted. The designated deadline must be no more than five days before the topic announcement date.
  The Executive Secretary will distribute a final topic selection ballot to all CEDA members in early July. Only mailed, faxed, emailed or password protected website ballots received by the deadline designated by the Executive Secretary will be accepted. The designated deadline must be no more than five days before the topic announcement date.

  Current version of Section 2, 3 and 4
  http://cedadebate.org/