[eDebate] First amendment topic?

Joe Patrice joepatrice
Sat Jun 3 15:20:23 CDT 2006

If you don't premise the Aff around curtail I do not see how the agent CP
doesn't win every round.  For example, Congress/Exec/State/locality abuses
First Amendment by _______ and Court should stop that.  CP, have that entity
quit doing _____, net benefit is any court linking DA.  That is not a risk
(or is an avoidable risk) the other way around, because Congress/etc. can't
curtail the First Amendment without the Court.

I believe the "it will affect other areas of free speech" argument is fair
debate.  I think I'm willing to debate that the effects of limiting free
speech is outweighed by the advantage of taking on the myth that "free
speech" is objective and free for all.  If anything I would worry that the
unfettered pro-free speech literature is not strong enough.

As for "cross burning and government corruption" being two cases, that
raises what I think is (and said during the meeting was) the fundamental
misconception about this topic -- even if the cases in question related to
those fact patterns, that is not what the Aff will be.  For example, I have
already found decent literature to run an intellectual property Aff off of
overruling a hate speech case.

Now that may make folks react the other way and think "wow then this is too
big."  It is big, but I believe that every "case" on the lists is equally or
close to as big as this area.  That means, as Lindsay put it during the
meeting, the First Amendment area is 4 to 8 times smaller than any of the
lists...and it's still huge.

Joe