[eDebate] Coalition of the list-supporter

J T jtedebate
Sun Jun 4 10:02:10 CDT 2006

I agree that it was polarized. But the support for areas vs. case (as per edebate discussion) was closer to supporting areas over case listings...of course I haven't retrieved every old message and tallied them up (perhaps I should)...

I think there has to be some way for the community at large to directly input their perspectives on the topic. The fact that only one of eight resolutions is one of areas should illustrate that the concerns of the larger community are not fully being represented. To their credit, people on the committee do ALOT of work investigating the merits of different approaches and cases...no one should dispute this...however, there is a breakdown in communication.

1. As the student rep, Malcom complained several times on edeabte about the lack of input by students. Students must become more involved in this process. Please take it upon yourselves to motivate your students (I could have done more) to take part.

2. There should be a straw poll or two prior to the meeting.  Although it would in now way be "official", I think we could find someone to collect and tally votes...one per person....maybe a "ballot" that identified the major issues discussed on edebate (areas vs. list)?  People would send in their thoughts and the person in charge would present the results and a report to edebate. It would be helpful it the person collecting votes were a topic committee memeber (although they do alot already) or anyone as long as they were given time at the meeting to present their findings

Part of the problem may be motivation (many feel their concerns are not represented or that they cannot make a difference) and another laziness (it doesn't take much effort to do a little reading and post to edebate).  Regardless, these suggestions could make the topic meeting run smoother and give maybe clearer direction at the outset of the meeting. This would reduce speculation over what "the Community" wants or prefers (this was an issue a few times...glad I could listen in over the internet)

Finally, thanks to whomever was in charge of broadcasting the meeting over the internet. It helped people like myself who were unable to attend keep involved.

Ede Warner <ewarner at louisville.edu> wrote:    I'm only reading edebate for a couple of days, so I again admit ignorance,
but is the community so polarized on the list vs non-list issue that it
will determine the outcome of the voting, to the exclusion of any serious
consideration of what is included in the various lists?  Are people ready
to go with Ede, throw caution to the winds, and accept any list topic over
the one area topic?  Are others ready to say they support any area topic
over any list topic, regardless of the area or the list.  I hear some
extreme voices on each side (on some days mine may be included,) but I
assume that most people fall somewhere in the middle, so that they will in
fact put the First Amendment topic somewhere in the middle of their
rankings.

Given the way the committee's voting process went down and the reactions to my post, I'd say it's quite polarized. There have been at least three posts already saying "lists too big, lists too big".  Now, mind you, I've conceded that the topic might be taken to the margins in some divisions by some debaters (although history says overrule with decisions works pretty well).  I've also argued that some folks will make this decision for other reasons, but yet, the threat of "the season will be destroyed with the boundless lists topics should be the sole and obvious determining factor for everyone who is competent in our game.  Yeah, I'd call that polarized.  Look, just as Ms. Vats argued that all the folks in law school thought overrule was a terrible choice, I'll argue that many of the debate professionals who debated privacy thought overrule worked out fine. Now perhaps, Will is right and things have changed, but the question is what has changed to make the lists topics so
 unworkable today?

JT

Asst. Debate Coach
Emporia State University