[eDebate] About the relative size of the topics...

Steven D'Amico stevendamico
Mon Jun 5 12:46:42 CDT 2006

I agree with everything Will -cough- I mean Lenny Kravitz, had to say with
one exception:

"The obvious answer is "yes, but... at least the neg will always have a free
speech good disad"...

I suppose, but:

1. This places an awful lot of faith in how great *that* disad is."

I don't think Will is right here, although I must admit JP Lupo has me
slaving away in a cubicle doing non-debate research and I shouldn't be
taking the time to post.

Free speech ground is not guaranteed. There are surely obscenity cases which
are at least as bi-directional as an overrule of Casey could be. You can
overturn an upholding of a previous decision the same way you can on the
list topic.

This leads me to this conclusion: list topic is more limiting because at
least we know what all the cases are, what random sentences and precedents
can be overturned. Area topic gives me headache.  John Katsulus is also
right about the problem he pointed out.

****All comes down to T overrule. Does "overrule" mean that affs are aloud
to overturn any piece of precedent upheld in that case?****

Limits and the desire for good case debate says no.

Even more scary--Can one overrule the gendered language in a decision? Or
some other bad language? I smell an affirmative that will win every
novice tournament in D8  (limits against talking about patriarchy are
patriarchal we all know)

Even more more scary--what the heck does this mean for plurality decisions?

Interpretation: you only get to overturn on grounds explained in the
dissenting opinions of the case.

It limits, has some flexibility (i.e. dissents for different reasons), gives
predictability, and gets to the core of the case debate. Sure it may limit
out some 1L's law review of why some case should be overturned for some
silly (but new and creative) reason, but it is an interp which gets rid of a
lot of ickyness.

Yea there are some problems (What about attacks on cases made in newer
dissents of justices--arguably could meet the above interp) but will wanted
some thoughts.

steve damico