[eDebate] Areas vs. list, let's look at just one listed case to overturn.

Tue Jun 6 11:30:43 CDT 2006

Ede, I do get your arguments. I really do. You WANT the topics to focus on a
particular issue. I want a back massage from Christina Applegate. What we want
and what we get are two totally seperate entities. You want the debate to be
about AA in collges. Fine. Then craft a resolution that forces us to debate AA
in schools. You WANT to debate the "judgment" of the S.Ct. regarding AA in
schools. I want it for you. I'd love that debate. I did National moot Court
when Bollinger came down and we were debating the U. of Texas, 5th Circuit case
addressing Bollinger. So, I'm with ya man. But the resolution, as worded, does
not get you where you want.

I think just about everyone is going to have to defer to a legal definitions of
the terms "overrule" and "decision" on this topic. Why? because, call me crazy,
this is a legal topic, the cases are legal cases, your solvency advocates are,
90% of the time, going to be law professors, and the other 10% of the time they
are going to be lawyers or judges writing opinions.

I already dealt with the term "overrule." It means to render a previous court's
precedent on a a particular issue of law moot, or as having no more precedential
power. "Decision," as I implied in my "Fox" example, is NOT the same a judgment.
A court, especially the S.Ct. makes more than a dozen decisions within a
case--all of which create precedent. Bollinger is a perfect example. When I
read Bollinger, I saw your decision on AA in colleges. But I also saw their
decision regarding standing to sue, government contracts, strict scrutiny
tests, judical review. Each one of these areas are fundamental and necessary to
the overall judgment of the court. Any "decision" on any one of these legal
issues, would have made the judgment of the court remarkably different. If you
wanted to focus on the judgment in Bollinger, then why in the hell didn't you
simply use the word "judgment" in the resolution, rather than forcing everybody
to jump through hoops?

When you read how courts "overturn" "decisions" they invariably say words to the
effect of, "We overturn the decision in Bollinger to the extent that it prevents
prison officials from segregating prisoners based on race."
They don't say we overturn the judgment in Gratz v. Bollinger.

Furthermore, your use of the term "judgment" illustrates a fundamental
mistunderstanding of what the term "judgment" means  within the judicial
system. A "judgment" is a particualr outcome for a particualr enitity in a
particualr case. It has
ZERO precedential value. Thus, under your interpretation that we can only
overturn the judgment, the Affirmative plan would be overlimited to overturning
the particular judgment affecting the University of Michigan's undergraduate
admissions program. No precedental value. Little or no applicability to other
schools, meaning, no real affirmative advantage. Additionally, one can overturn
a judgment for infinite reasons while maintaining precedent. I have had
judgments overturned on procedural grounds, on statutory grounds, etc., But the
underlying opinions are maintained. Alternatively, the courts (all of the time)
rule that the judgment is correct, but the reasons for the judgment were wrong
or misapplied. Thus, trying to default to overturning the court's "judgment" is
(1) not what the resoltuion says and (2) even if it did, would not get you where
you want.

BTW. Every example I have given over the past two days is based on the "content"
of the Bollinger case. So, again, your HOPE for a debate on AA is not met the
test of reality.

You have yet to explain how your c-plans to test the "germaneness" of the
affirmative advantages for cases like prison segragation, would somehow not
apply to AA in collges? Maybe I really am dense, but I don't see how one c-plan
on prisons could not be easily re-written to c-plan out you AA in collges
advantages. I don't see how a c-plan would force the Aff. to debate AA in
colleges at all. In fact, the central and/or major decision, judgment, ruling,
whatever you want to call it, in Bollinger was very clear--Government programs
and policies that use race as a factor are subject to strict scrutiny. I run my
Plan to Overturn this portion of the decision because it is too broad and
results in prison riots is middle of the road topical. Just because you don't
like my advantage and just because I don't say jack about AA in colleges, does
not mean a c-plan checks my "abuse." I for the life of me don't see ANY
extratopical planks in my plan.

And, if you don't allow me to specify in what way the case would be overturned,
then I and any other affirmative will have an impossible burden of having to
overturn all the issues within a case, making me vulnerable to a million
different PIC's. Such as:

PIC: Overturn the Decision in Bollinger except for the portions of the decision
that uphold the Courts' right under the Constitution to perfrom judicial review.
Net benefit: SOP, Judical Review checks tyranny of the majority.

PIC: Overturn the Decision in Bollinger except for its test to determine
standing. Advantage: Court clog from lawsuits by persons with no real standing.

PIC du jour: (Call it Scott's LOL PIC) Overturn the JUDGMENT in Bollinger.
net benefit: Overturning a decsion does NOT affect the parties in the original
lawsuit. In other words, the real Mr./Mrs. Bollinger, the real University of
Michigan and the real Mr. Gratz will not benefit at all from the overturning of
the Bollinger decsion. Only by overturning the JUDGMENT in Bollinger, do we
really solve for those parties real harms. LOL. Mutually exclusive-overturning
the decsion in Bollinger set bad precedent on X issue. Overturning decsions
harms Court cred. You can overturn a jugment without losing cred, but you lose
cred when you overturn a decision. Doh!

Well, y'all have fun and y'all get what you deserve if you vote for this form of
list topic.

Scott