[eDebate] Fwd: Coalition of the list-supporter

Joe Patrice joepatrice
Tue Jun 6 14:09:08 CDT 2006

1) I don't understand how that CP beats the perm.  If the CP says the Malgor
standard was wrong then I think the Neg has failed to do anything because
the overruled standard means both Malgor and Posh are no longer law.  If the
CP is saying that Malgor still applies but should not be applied to soccer
fields, that is a viable strategy in the abstract, I'm just very skeptical
that you'll find lit to support that.  Especially considering that we have
selected such foundational cases -- few people are writing from the
perspective of "tweaking" these standards.  People who write the good lit on
Gregg are generally not arguing for a middle ground on the death penalty.

I also don't think the issue is going to be a second case.  The Aff is
Malgor and they'll claim soccer field advantages even though there isn't a
case about it yet and therefore no alternative decision to overrule, or
there was a lower court case (Posh Spice v. USA, 321 F.3d 543 (2d Cir. 2004)
that the Court declined to hear, thereby meaning the Supreme Court is not
overruling "its" decision if it overrules Posh, and the lower court can't
act on it unless the Supreme Court overrules Malgor. [As an aside, appellate
decisions that took some action solely on the grounds that one of the list
cases forces them to take that action are ripe for impact scenarios]

2) Judgment is something else entirely.  In fact, we specifically rejected
judgment because it would limit teams to changing the outcome for the
parties and avoid discussing legal standards.  The decision to use
"decision" was to get at the discussion of legal standards while having the
Aff be hemmed in by the constraint that, at the end of the day, your plan
text would result in the named case going the other way, for whatever
reason.  Judgments are the documents, issued by the courts that allow people
to get their money.  Decisions are the (written or unwritten) gathering of
findings and holdings to support a result.

I don't think I'm just saying "there are cards."  I'm saying "these are the
only cards."  I'm saying that the solvency advocates speak of the decisions
and the process as I am and I don't even foresee a scenario, with these
cases, where an alternative is borne out by the lit.  For example, basing
our interp just around the parties at issue means that abortion generally
would not be debated, merely the constitutionality of consent laws in
Pennsylvania and I think everyone envisions this case area to involve a
broader discussion of the scope of abortion rights.

I'm also not saying my interp is delimiting as a negative -- indeed I
willingly voted for this verb.  It is delimiting in a good way.  I would
enjoy a topic to overrule Morrison because debaters could spend a whole year
getting on top of what it would mean to alter the nature of federal power
and all the (unrelated to domestic violence) advantages and disadvantages
that could flow from that standard.  I'm saying that a topic to overrule
Morrison, Quirin, Casey, Gratz, Gregg, etc. is delimited (not bad) AND now
involves a debate on disparate areas of the law and the combination is
huge.

As for application of standards being a process, that's not universally
true.  With issues like desegregation, the legislatures got crafty to find
ways to segregate without violating the specific standards of the cases and
that necessitated other cases making it to the Supreme Court.  Thus,
overruling Milliken means the Aff probably needs cards that interdistrict
busing would solve the advantages, which is very limited.  In other cases,
changing the standard will cause automatic changes.  That's why I worry most
about Casey, Morrison and Quirin because overruling them (depending on the
method applied) has the most room for automatic application.  Milliken is
relatively limited because of the way it cannot definitely stretch far
beyond its facts.

Joe