[eDebate] Time to Review the Merger

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Fri Jun 9 12:40:59 CDT 2006

The only disagreement I can see in the Cheif's post is the one I pre-empted
about the merger causing the decline of regional debate.

CEDA was moving toward an entirely NDT style prior to the merger....The
merger did NOT cause the decline in programs...Programs were dying and
regional circuits were dying in CEDA PRIOR to the merger....One of the major
arguments for the merger at the time was to ARREST decline.  The Mid-America
region was the CEDA version of the Emory/Wake/West Ga/Kentucky etc region -
if you didnt travel to the Mid America district in the last 7 years of CEDA
qua CEDA you had NO chance at CEDA nationals.

I was one of the last people to make the transition (ASU did an entirely
CEDA schedule the first pseudo merger year) and I was a CEDA officer and was
VERY active through this whole period.  It is just patently false to suggest
that prior to the merger CEDA was this idyllic romantic past you suggest.

I have suggested this before...Most, if not all, of the reasons debate is
dying is not a result of the merger...It is the result first and foremost of
increased travel costs.  In addition, many programs left entirely or did
Parli because they hated the style of debate that was becoming prominant in
CEDA PRIOR to the merger.  The style popularized by schools such as Emporia
(you), UCO (me), SIU at the end (Jack) etc.

Finally, I have gotten a crash course in the last four years of just how
hard it is to keep a debate program running without University support.  The
major problems across the board for most schools who try to debate is
DECLINING UNIVERSITY FUNDS FROM STATE BUDGETS.  Its easier to bemoan how
terrible debate is and how many programs we are losing but many of the
problems we all face are created externally.  My fear is, in our haste to do
something radical to return to a past that no longer exists, we will make
the problems worse not better.

I know I am somehwat of a muckraker in this forum but please realize that
the one thing we do have is each other...If we start choosing sides and
dividing up again we are only going to have two seperate, smaller, and more
rapidly dying groups of college debaters.

The best thing we can do is SHARE our success stories....How did Dr. Warner
generate University support, how did the teams with lots of money get to be
teams with lots of money, how does Jack get support at OU, etc etc
etc.....How can you justify what we do to administrators
successfully.....How can you create revenue streams outside the University
budgeting process.  We may not agree on how debate should look but we are
resources for each others continued survival.  Cutting off whole sections of
such resources seems to me, at best, short sighted.

Josh