[eDebate] Time to Review the Merger

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Fri Jun 9 14:45:18 CDT 2006

Per-round costs (transportation, entry fees, food, lodging, and hired judging) for most "average" to "above-average" programs that responded to my post on CEDA-L last month are in the neighborhood of $80 to $125  (national circuit participation and geographic isolation tended to push schools to the higher end).  In a couple of cases, they were as high as $300 per round.  At even the lower rates, $20,000 is the minimum buy-in for reasonable regional travel.  We need to find a way to reduce per-round costs for MOST tournaments to under $40 for established programs and under $20 for new programs.  Initiatives like what Towson is doing are a start, but all of us need to be creative.  Ask yourself if there aren't more schools that would do policy debate if you could start out regionally with a volunteer coach from the faculty who takes 4 teams to each of 8 tournaments for under $6,000.  It can be done if we are creative, and it will mean that the remaining regional tournaments will be much larger.  I'm hearing great things from different parts of the country on this.
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
P.S.  A shameless plug:  an established school should be able to bring 4 teams to our September tournament for under $600.  They'll get 7 rounds of debate for each team (one more than usual for the weaker teams) and all the usual amenities except fancy trophies and sweepstakes points.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: matt stannard<mailto:stannardmatt at hotmail.com>
  To: jbhdb8 at gmail.com<mailto:jbhdb8 at gmail.com> ; delliott at kckcc.edu<mailto:delliott at kckcc.edu>
  Cc: edebate at ndtceda.com<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com> ; Gary.N.Larson at wheaton.edu<mailto:Gary.N.Larson at wheaton.edu>
  Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 2:16 PM
  Subject: Re: [eDebate] Time to Review the Merger

  If I may offer a non-scientific preview of the survey responses I have
  processed:

  Programs have left for four main reasons:

  1. Perceived budgetary expenses of NDT/CEDA debate as opposed to
  parliamentary debate.
  2. Decline of regional travel opportunities, feeding #1.
  3. Simple lack of interest on the part of their students, tied to the
  perception that the work requirements of NDT/CEDA debate are next to
  impossible for students who either work or are involved in other academic
  activities.
  4. Theoretical/ideological opposition to the communication practices of
  NDT/CEDA debate (this was not listed nearly as much as the other three; the
  majority of directors who have abandoned NDT/CEDA say they love it and
  wished they could have kept doing it).

  stannard