[eDebate] topic thoughts - replies to various posts

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Tue Jun 13 22:08:18 CDT 2006

I had been pursuing some of these issues backchannel, but since Jim has posted at some length, I?ll address all three of his points.

  1.. Jim:  ?Overrule is broad?.

Neil:  Maybe it is, maybe it isn?t.  There clearly are competing interpretations (and Jim does a fine job of outlining them).  The question is which interpretation is best for debate, both competitively and educationally; the question is not which is the best definition in court.  To quote from Tim O?Donnell?s judging philosophy:  ?Topicality debates are about competing sets of affirmative cases. When we seek to answer the question ?Is the affirmative plan topical?? we are asking if it is included in the set of cases that would produce the best sets of debates over a given year. A ?best? set would be the set that maximizes (while balancing) the two fundamental debate values (see above).?  The two values Tim cites are competition and education.

I don?t think our teams will have trouble arguing that the broad interpretation of overrule gives the affirmative a competitive advantage and reduces education.  I see some negative debaters also throwing in a kritik that reinforces the educational criterion by pointing out that the affirmative is turning away from our opportunity and obligation to discuss pressing issues of race, gender, and perhaps class.  I don?t know if that will work with Jim in the back of the room, but, most of the time, I think the negative will be able to make the affirmative debate the central tenets of the cases?or will win the debate about why we need to be debating the central tenets of these cases.   And I don?t think it will be the worst thing in the world if debaters have to learn to argue eloquently about why it?s important that we confront issues of race, gender, and perhaps class.

  2.. Jim:  ?Overrule and novice debate ? revised lists would be better for novice/JV debate?
 Neil:  And your evidence is??  Jim argues that the resolution needs to be simple to attract novice debaters.  I tend to agree, and I think part of being simple is being short.  Adding a hundred or so words to the resolution will (in my estimation) turn off novices.  I don?t want to be in a position where I have to turn to new novices and say, ?Here?s the resolution.  And here?s the second page of the resolution.?  (hyperbole conceded, but you get the idea).  I have had no difficulty attracting novices for next year (12 definites and two maybes right now), and they?ve seen the slate of resolutions.

Jim?s argument about retaining novices through the year is, I believe, incorrect.  Maybe his experience is different from mine (and we both coach novices every year), but mine is that the overwhelming majority of WVU novices who go to the first tournament end up debating all year.  Indeed, on last year?s topic (which Jim said was tough for novice retention), all 6 of our new novices stayed on the team all year.  My experience is that novice retention is largely a function of how much time, effort, and affection the coaches and senior debaters show novices; random intrasquad relationship issues; and tradeoffs between tournament travel on the one hand, and work, academics, and social life on the other hand.

  3.. Jim:  ?ADA addendums aren't the end of the world?.

Neil:  I heartily disagree.  Qualifications and disclaimer:  WVU has been a member of the ADA for a very long time.  I have attended 8 of the last 9 ADA May Business meetings (only missing the one in Orlando).  Our February tournament (not held last year) was always an ADA tournament.  I admire much about the ADA?s commitment to novice and JV debate, and I consider most of the ADA directors to be both friends and respected colleagues who care a great deal about their students.  We have attended fewer ADA tournaments in recent years, in large part because of concern that the ADA has been isolating itself from the rest of the debate community.  However, I am currently chair of the new ADA committee on reinvigorating novice debate, and we have a schedule for next year that includes ADA tournaments at King?s, James Madison, Navy, ADA Nationals at Liberty, probably John Carroll, and maybe one more.  I'm anxious to "play both sides of the street" and expose my students to a wide variety of kinds of argumentation.

The background is that the ADA changed its rules in 2005 to give the ADA Executive Committee the power to reject the CEDA topic and replace it with one of its own.  ?The ADA will adopt the policy topic approved by the Executive Committee.?  At this year?s ADA Business meeting, I introduced a rules change that would have required the ADA to use the CEDA topic.  After some discussion, a rules change was approved that provided that the ADA would use the CEDA topic if it is a policy proposition; otherwise, it would use the NDT topic (on the assumption that the NDT would adopt its own resolution if it deemed CEDA?s resolution not to be a policy proposition).  That change is now pending before a mail ballot of the ADA membership.

A)     If the rules change is ratified, the ADA would have no choice but to use the CEDA topic (unless it wishes to violate its own rules).

B)     Even if that rules change does not pass, I believe that the ADA, by accepting a seat on the CEDA Topic Committee, should agree to abide by that process.  I think that?s implicit.  Others may disagree.

C)     The main argument for ADA using an addendum (as Jim puts it) is that it would be more novice/JV friendly.  I disagree with that, as indicated above.

D)     Jim, after arguing for simplicity for novices, then suggests that they should have to debate two different resolutions unless they attend only ADA (or only non-ADA) tournaments.  I don?t get this.  I have enough difficulty preparing people to debate one resolution; why put two different ones in front of the least experienced debaters?

E)      I think the net effect, as Tom O?Gorman argued moments ago (the second or third time Tom and I have ever agreed!), will be to reduce the presence of ?non-ADA? schools (or, more accurately, I think, non-exclusively ADA schools) at ADA tournaments.  I know that I would be less likely to want us to attend ADA tournaments.

Again, let me be clear that I have great respect for Jim, for Tim, and for the work that all of the ADA coaches do to support novice debate.  I think, however, that such a move would only serve to exacerbate the serious downward trend in attendance at ADA tournaments.  I hope that doesn?t happen.

One last thing about the Topic Committee:  I may disagree with product and even elements of process, but the committee members worked their butts off for us and our students, the blog was a tremendous advance (and a resource for students beginning their research), and the webcast was an advance in democracy as well.

--Neil Berch

West Virginia University