[eDebate] prague spring

Jake Stromboli infracaninophile
Mon Jun 19 09:22:35 CDT 2006

no truthout post, yet.

stannard's post pushes the slf past a threshold.   we will stand down our
parody of karl rove and ann coulter's ad hominem cheap shots to demonstrate
our seriousness about the forthcoming dialogue over student protest.   a
long time ago, we promised to stand down the rhetorical buffoonery if
republicans on the list started a campaign for rove's resignation on a
standard of rhetorical reciprocity, i.e. if you don't like our approach and
want us to stop posting, then please apply the same logic to the grand
master in the white house.   the only other condition for standing down
would be a long anticipated, dabait sit-in movement demanding the withdrawal
of US murder squads which has finally been met.   backchannel support and
now public support for slf demands of complacent students proudly provides
the necessary conditions for us to dialogue without a parody of rove's
"shoot the messenger" tactic.   i will reserve the rove parody for
COINTELPRO type interference from suspected moles and for republicans who
deny the first amendment right of student protests.

stannard said late last night:

quote
"Truthfully, "Stromboli's" call for civil disobedience, channeled both
through the debate community and other networks, is a viable and timely
strategy, accompanied by multiple networks and fora of
political conversation from students, workers, and others opposed not only
to the current administration, but to the institutional, ideological and
material conditions which make the current
administration possible.  We might differ on tactics but I'd be more than
willing to help facilitate that discussion and whatever might come out of
it." endquote

as long as sit-ins are a component of the non-violent civil disobedience, i
doubt we differ much on tactics and now that the rove tactic parody is over,
our tactical, differential gap has probably narrowed.

i strongly believe that organizing should be done publicly on the internet
and otherwise b/c the inevitability of surveillance and monitoring by the
current administration that categorizes peace activists as terrorists.
there will be little secrecy but i think this is a distinct advantage for
the student occupiers of today over yesteryear since secrecy tended to
preserve hierarchical modes of organizing and facilitated COINTELPRO
instigation of infighting.   i also think that the relative insularity of
the debate community will prove to be an excellent defensive weapon against
intelligence infiltration and sabotage.   imagine a COINTELPRO letter
addressed to Ross Smith and supposedly written by Gordon Mitchell that says
that Ross is a homosexual and Gordon wants to meet him at the bicycle racks
for a texas shootout ASAP.   decade long friendships and historical
awareness will withstand predictable and original rove style tactics of
division.

as y'all know, james vernon reed has been planning a debate documentary
project for the fall and i am sure that he will drop the planned tournament
footage for the sit ins in a literal heartbeat for the production of a
godard style student film that involves the occupiers in the whole process
from editing to distribution.   reed is a phenomenal asset and it will be
great to have him inside one of the president's offices given his experience
of storming the university of texas towers over the hopwood decision back in
1995 (i believe) as well as his street protest experiences in LA during the
2000 DNC.   reed is one of the more intelligent debate thinkers who
instantly realized the reactionary nature of the statism critique of student
protests and the glaring incompatibility of that critique with the spanos
argument about the role of sit ins in the withdrawal from vietnam.   the
statism critique forces protesters into a false corner of opposing a
monstrous, monolith and thereby preserves an antiquated hegelian dialectic
debunked primarily by foucault.  protesters should never be burdened with
overthrowing the entire state as the goal of each every action since that
fantasy overwhelms fighting for specific demands from a specific group with
a specific voice (what foucault called "micro-resistance").   the
foucaultian theory does not rule out the possibility of overthrowing the
established order, it merely holds that the result only comes from the
unpredictable synergism of smaller movements fighting for specific causes.
the established order is just an idea until it manifests in specific forms
of control that target local groups.  in fact, a careful review of the early
1970s and the french scene in particular turns up the suspicion that the
statist critique of protest was proliferated by intelligence agencies as a
counter-revolutionary tool to triangulate youth desire.

i would like to keep the discussion on edebate.   phil kerpen is a true
advocate of free speech and we greatly appreciate his practice given the
controversial nature of the rove parody.   i think that it is good for
republican students and coaches to observe the organizing efforts so that at
the very least they will come to the defense of their colleagues in the
event of any unnecessary police backlash on first amendment grounds.
republican debate colleagues may not agree with the demand for withdrawal of
US murder squads from iraq but many probably agree with the student right to
occupy buildings on the campuses they paid the tuition to build and force
their view into a mainstream media that does not actively solicit student
views and they most definitely are probably against the use of police force
to silence their colleagues.   we should find out who the strong first
amendment, republican debate advocates (including former debaters who now
practice law) are and prepare talking points against police and intelligence
interference.

i envision a press conference before the semester begins and i hope that the
press conference will be multi-partisan and that from the getgo before the
FBI and the saboteurs even have a chance to start playing dirty, republican
free speech advocates with a knowledge of nixon's dirty COINTELPRO and
blatant attempts to thwart citizens from the right to organize will attend
the press conference and display their support for the right to protest as a
fundamental right of democracy, "only maligned in places like red china".  i
hope that these republican advocates will point to the extremism embedded in
the current administration's "with us or against us" ploy and will announce
to the public that their peace loving colleagues are clearly not terrorists
and that any wiretapping or infiltration of their organizing efforts is
unconstitutional and should be prosecuted.

mr. stannard, please, do what you can to facilitate the necessary dialogue.
thank you for your post.

stromboli