[eDebate] NBA Game 6 in the "Whine Cellar"

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Tue Jun 20 14:06:04 CDT 2006

Lets try a much better article from a much more credible source on the nba:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060620

Especially loved the following:

Speaking of the refs, Game 5 of the Finals took its rightful place alongside
Game 7 of the Seattle-Phoenix series in 1993, Game 6 of the Kings-Lakers
series in 2002, Game 5 of the Knicks-Celtics series in 1973 and some of the
other famous entries in the Pantheon of One-Sided Officiated Games. We're
running some e-mails in a sidebar (look to the right), but you know it's bad
when the owner of the losing team runs out onto the floor to stare down the
commissioner after the game -- the last time that happened at a sporting
event, Vince McMahon was involved.

 (FYI: In *today's Miami
Herald*<http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14856564.htm?source=rss&channel=miamiherald_sports>,
Greg Cote writes that Cuban was screaming profanely at referee Joe DeRosa
right after the game, "then turned to Stern and other NBA officials who were
seated at the scorer's table and was overheard to shout venomously in the
jubilant din, '[Bleep] you! [Bleep] you! Your league is rigged!'" Remember
when I wrote that, on a scale of 1-to-10 about being excited for the moment
when Stern handed Cuban the trophy, I was a 35? Now I'm a 72. Although Cuban
did deny saying this on his blog.)

I tackled this in a Cowbell blog last year, but it's worth rehashing again:
The NBA doesn't fix games. That's impossible. And stupid. It could never
happen. (Well, except for the Hubert Davis game -- that was fixed. Just
kidding. Kind of.) A few months ago, I looked David Stern in the eye and
asked him about the ongoing officiating problems, and he seemed agonized
enough about it that I actually believed him. Unless he was pulling a
DeNiro-level acting performance on me. Which I doubt. But there are three
major problems here.

 First, Dwyane Wade shot as many free throws (25) as the entire Dallas team
in Game 5. I just don't see how there's any way this can happen in a
fairly-called game. It's theoretically impossible.

 Second, everyone knew the officiating would be a problem heading into this
series because of Cuban's past problems with the league. In my Finals
preview, I wrote that "No team depends on the refs quite like the Heat. When
the refs are calling all the bumps on Shaq and protecting Wade on every
drive, they're unstoppable. When they're calling everything fairly, they're
eminently beatable. If they're not getting any calls, they're just about
hopeless. I could see the refs swinging two games in Miami's favor during
this series, possibly three. In fact, I'm already depressed about it and the
series hasn't even started yet." Well, we had our two games -- Game 3 (the
last five minutes were just obscene) and Game 5 (again, a top-five debacle).
And the series isn't over yet.

 Third, here's a theory on referees that I described in a blog last spring:

 "I don't think the NBA fixes games, but they have one trick that they use
for situations like this -- when they want a home team to win the game, they
invariably assign the worst referees possible to that game for two reasons:
Bad referees have a tendency to get swayed by the home crowd, and bad
referees never have the stones to make a tough call on the road. In a
related story, I went to 35 Clippers games this year and kept a list of the
referees in my pocket which I also used to follow the referees for any
televised games. And yes, the referees in the NBA -- as a whole -- have
never been worse. But there were six referees that stuck out as being
especially terrible."

 Then I went on to list the worst six referees. Here was No. 2 on the list:

 "2. Bennett Salvatore -- Always one of the worst, he took it to another
level this season. If you see him on the court at the start of the game, get
ready for about six technicals, two near-brawls and both coaches having to
be restrained by their assistants at various times."

 Why is this relevant? Not only did Salvatore officiate Game 4 of the
Suns-Lakers series (the one where Kobe tied it at the end of regulation and
won it at the end of OT on two shaky non-calls on Nash, both by Salvatore),
not only did Salvatore officiate Sunday night's Game 5 (in which Miami had a
40-12 free-throw advantage at one point), but Salvatore called the foul on
Wade's final drive in overtime (remember, the call where ABC couldn't find a
replay to show that anyone touched him?) even though he was standing at
midcourt a full 35-40 feet from the play, and even though two other refs
were closer to the play. Not only was that NOT his call, he butchered it.

 Considering I brought this up LAST spring, do you find any of this a little
strange? Why aren't the best referees calling these games? Why do the worst
ones always seem to get assigned to games in which it would be better for
the league if the home team won? Why am I the only one who notices this
stuff or seems to care? Why do I find myself watching these games and
concentrating more on the one-sided officiating than some of Wade's
spectacular plays? As my buddy House e-mailed on Monday morning: "I don't
think I can take much more of NBA refs insisting on controlling the outcomes
of the most significant games. The NBA is a disgrace and should be
completely embarrassed. I hate this game."

 And that's coming from one of the last 19 NBA diehards -- I can only
imagine what the casual fans thought after watching such a one-sided
travesty. Look, we all love Dwyane Wade. He's fantastic. But there's
absolutely no scenario in which a 2-guard should be attempting as many free
throws as everyone on the other team. It's absolutely unfathomable. And
here's what really kills me: If there's a Game 7, you KNOW they'll come up
with the best possible officials for that particular game. So why wouldn't
every Finals game work like that? We have seven possible games spread over
17 days ... they couldn't pick the best three or four refs and have them
work every game, like how MLB picks the best seven umps to comprise the
World Series crew? Why wouldn't that work? Is there a single reason you can
come up with? Arrrrrrrrgh.

Also a very nice bit on the Wade foul,

Josh