[eDebate] Mavericks supporters retract

Andrew Michael-Don Casey acasey3
Wed Jun 21 14:53:16 CDT 2006

alright, you got me, i was bored and just thought you sounded wrong.
Now that i have a second I guess i'll make an argument.

Your popularity argument is ridiculous. a.) because of the lack of
ability to measure his popularity in contrast to wilbon's and b.)
because high popularity doesn't assert any reason why that made him
right in the instance you are discussing.

You misconstrued the Coulter reference. Ann Coulter is a best seller.
that does not mean that she made a good argument nor does it mean Bill
simmons made a good argument.

Now, Wilbon is better than simmons:

1.) Credentials. Simmons has the fact that he wrote a book and is a
columnist for espn. Wilbon, however, has the following:
Michael Wilbon, a pioneer of sports columnists, co-host for ESPN?s
Pardon the Interruption which debuted on September 22, 2001. The fast
paced sports talk that has become one of ESPN?s most watched shows.

Wilbon joined The Washington Post in 1980 as a general assignment
sports reporter, and since 1990 has been as a full time sports
columnist. He has covered a wide variety of sports, including
professional soccer, college football and basketball, Major League
Baseball, the NFL, and NBA. Since 1984 Wilbon has been part of The
Washington Post?s Olympics coverage. As a columnist, he offers
commentary on the national issues of the day as they relate to sports.

In 2001, the Society of Professional Journalists named Wilbon the top
sports columnist of the year. Wilbon has been among the top three
national sports columnists selected by the Associated Press Sports
Editors three times.

Simmons is kind of an idiot. His latest article on espn.com is a
discussion of how the NBA will die because the heat won. His argument
is that the way the heat play basketball is too cliche and will cause
an adoption toward that style of play versus the Suns/Mavericks style
and kill the NBA. All of his premises are defeated by the Pistons win
two years ago along with the fact that players like Kobe Bryant, Lebron
James, and Dwayne Wade are the most exciting players to watch in the
game (following the same MJ model that simmons despises).

I would go into more detail about the lunacy of simmons article but its
irrelevant. at the very least simmons is biased toward the mavericks
(he has no love for the game if all he wants to see is high scores and
no D)...while Wilbon (Chicago Native) is not.

waiting,
-AC