[eDebate] One more note....RE: Death penalty upheld by S. Ct.

Ken DeLaughder kenedebate
Tue Jun 27 15:42:49 CDT 2006

Here is some UQ cards for you...

This is from the cnn.com article quoting Souter's dissent in the KS Death
penalty case....
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/26/scotus.death/index.html

"In dissent, Justice David Souter said a state law "that requires execution
when the case for aggravation has failed to convince the sentencing jury is
morally absurd." He added that the majority's holding "that the Constitution
tolerates this moral irrationality defies decades of precedent aimed at
eliminating freakish capital sentencing in the United States.""

>From Breyer's dissent in Hudson
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/printer_friendly.pl?page=us/000/04-1360.html

"Today's opinion is thus doubly troubling. It represents a significant
departure from the Court's precedents. And it weakens, perhaps destroys,
much of the practical value of the Constitution's knock-and-announce
protection."

NOTE - "defies decades of precedent"  and "departure from the Court's
precedents"

I thought conservative courts were supposed to be "precedent oriented" -
seems like their not so conservative more neocon President its right wing
activism.  Shudder folks.

Second note, just like Husdon, this case was a "REARGUE" as the Court was
deadlocked when O'Connor retired (she was going to vote the other way on
both cases) but her vote didn't count as she was retiring.  On retrial,
Alito put the both over the top.  So they can break into your house without
knocking.. then kill you...

Yay Alito!

Ken
maybe "law" in law school should be in quotes ;)