[eDebate] Which topic?

cleary at ou.edu cleary
Fri Jun 30 15:42:10 CDT 2006


Brett,
You didnt include me and Blake in the list of seniors...I'm hurt :) 

I agree that the Hamdan decision is a reason to vote for Quirin, but only if Congress goes ahead and gives Bush the authority to have tribunals at GITMO.  Otherwise, things remain pretty abstract and speculative.

I disagree however, that that means we are obliged to vote for 1 or 6.  You lampoon topic 7 (which I don't fault you for) and conclude that topic 6 is much better.  I'm sorry, but subbing quirin in for gratz is not "WAY WAY WAY" better. The Court is taking affirmative action cases next year. 

You want your nuclear wars to jerk off to and I suppose that is fine.  I'm not sure why you are entitled to these types of debates, but I'm willing to vote for a rez that allows you to access them. However, topic 1 and 6 are poor compromises.  I don't see abortion as a "critical" area, as much as a case that allows teams to go both ways on the abortion debate (i.e. which restrictions are/are not premissible).  That means we're left wtih Morrison, and race cases.  I don't want to debate VAWA the whole year, sorry. 

Topic 4 pleases all sides.  It is bigger, yes, but many of the cases are quite straightforward and won't be too diverse.  It allows a discussion of some different critical areas (race, gender, death penalty).  City of Boerne is not really about religion as much as it is about Congressional power and remedial v. substantive legislation, so I don't think your "critical aff" objection is very warranted.  With #4, you can still have your big stick AFF and people can have a diversity of LEGAL issues to debate, which is really what this topic is about.



----- Original Message -----
From: Brett Wallace <bretagus at yahoo.com>
Date: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:16 pm
Subject: [eDebate] Which topic?

> Many are concerned about the size that
> overrule/decision allows...
> If this is true it seems to dictate that people would
> want to vote for the smallest possible list topic,
> with four cases. 
> 
> Now, granted we chose a list topic with four cases,
> the educational and affirmative flexibility that is
> acheived through ex parte quirin casey milikin and
> morrison is MUCH greater than 
> morrison casey milikin and gratz. It fundamentally
> means the whole topic is about race/womens rights,
> with some interstate commerce througn in there.
> 
> Although I like the milikin and morrison cases and
> know LOTS Of people actually DO want to debate
> abortion, i think that the addition of quirin is MUCH
> superior than gratz for sake of social issue diversity
> and for teams who want affs with impacts apart from
> oppression and federalism.
> 
> Now I like the Hamdan decision as a reason TO vote for
> an ex parte quirin rez. It ensures there will be up to
> date law reviews and literature that comes out just in
> time for the topic to start, allows affs greater
> creativity on their uniqueness claims about how hamdan
> has effected quirin. Encouraging more current even
> research is a good thing. Cases that are beign
> discussed in the literature NOW is a good thing. There
> is plenty of ev that i found in 5 minutes about a
> healthy discussion goign on about what the real impact
> of hamdan is going to be - symbolic/actual change,
> ect. 
> 
> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE vote for a topic with this case
> in the resolution. It is the ONLY one of its type, and
> for all those policy/disad/impact hacks out there -
> andrea, kearny, jennings, burshtyne, nikhil, kathyrn,
> all us seniors who want this type of case to be
> available to be run i advice vote for it unless you
> want the politics disad to outweigh our affs every
> debate. I mean really, we all know quirin is the only
> saving grace to these lists in terms of good quality
> big impacts.
> 
> Now back to reasons why it should be four cases...
> -death penalty...dont mean to make this a clash of civ
> vote but all you policy teams out there know that
> there will be possibly one team that runs a non
> critical death penalty aff..and from what i heard
> about the treaties topic, goign neg against those
> cases blew blew blew
> -religion - see critical aff concern above ( PLUS,
> this aff is only on the rez's that have the two
> largest lists and then the one that doesnt have ex
> parte quirin) 
> -casey - from what i hear LOTS of people want to
> debate casey SPECIFICALLY, and i feel the same way.
> The lit  is huge both ways and something that attracts
> novices quite well. (Despites the objectors, i feel
> the supporteres are more numorous just most quiet
> about it) ALSO! You can convince a catholic judge to
> vote for abortion just by telling the story of your
> mother! 
> -gratz im not too opposed to, but if we already have
> milikin, doesnt seem another race case is in the
> interest of EITHER education OR LIMITS. (since
> affirmative action will be discussed PLENTY with
> school desegregation) However, list number one is what
> i proposed above, just plus affirmative action, i
> woudlnt mind this rez that much either becuase its
> only one more case and one that isnt bad. 
> 
> Anyways, the only topics that include both ex parte
> quirin and casey...which, as i would imagin are the
> two cases that have a large majority of people who
> want to debate them, (except morrison and milikin
> which are irrelevent because they are there anyways)
> which are ALSO not WAY to big with a list of 7 or 8
> cases on non connecting issues with apparently an
> already poorly wordered/overlimited
> topic....ARE...List One and list 6.
> 
> PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE vote for one of these lists.
> And please people voice their opionion. you SENIOR
> DEBATERS (ANDREA, KEARNY, OZZY, MANDY, IFTIMIE, AIMI,
> JESSICA, CULPEPPER, SHISSLER, NIKHIL, KATHRYN,
> JENNINGS, NOAH, im loooking at YOU) who are goign to
> be GONE after this year NEED to get your voice out
> because WE are the ones that have our last debate
> topic ever, so we should ensure that we get a topic we
> want. I hope other people post in agreement with this.
> List 6 preferably or list 1 for the people who think
> the rez should be alittle bit bigger. 
> 
> And seriously...i have talked to not a single person
> who thinks the freedom of speech topic would be good.
> Come on, that topic blows in comparison to casey and
> exparte. If it did win i think i might go back down to
> the AAA and debate national service. Alteast they have
> heg advantages. 
> 
> -brett
> 
> 
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> eDebate mailing list
> eDebate at ndtceda.com
> http://www.ndtceda.com/mailman/listinfo/edebate
> 





More information about the Mailman mailing list