[eDebate] plan texts for WVU tournament

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Thu Mar 2 14:11:12 CST 2006

Here's what we have.  Most are here.  They are not in any particular order.  If you're not there, it may be because you didn't provide it.  Or, it may be because I misplaced it.  Please provide on edebate.  If it's inaccurate, please correct on edebate.  If you're listed and you didn't provide the info, please correct on edebate (and thank the anonymous coach from another school who did this for you).  Thanks to WVU debater Michael Stark and an anonymous coach of a school in the tournament (he asked not to be identified) for putting this together.--Neil

Cornell

Novice - one of the following

1.  The United States Federal Government will increase diplomatic and economic
pressure on the People's Republic of China by sending the U.S. Trade
Representative to inform the Chinese government that the United States
Federal Government will no longer permit importation of solid wood packing
materials or pallets in new trade shipments. The U.S. Trade Representative
will inform the Chinese government that the United States Federal Government
will offer the Chinese government the option to continue trade that utilizes
packing materials and pallets that do not consist of solid wood materials.
Funding and enforcement are guaranteed. The affirmative reserves the right
to clarify this plan.

2.  The United States Federal Government will send confidential diplomatic
representatives to let the government of the People's Republic of China know
that a discontinuation of normal trade relations will occur unless the
People's Republic of China makes substantial human rights concessions
through the release of known political prisoners or solve the part of the
overfishing problem that their citizens contribute to in the South China
Sea. Specification and clarification questions will be answered in
cross-examination. If the Negative fails to ask such questions in the first
cross-examination they will be deemed to have waived their right to run plan
specification arguments and other similar types of procedural arguments.

3. The United States Federal Government will substantially increase diplomatic
and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by sending
representatives to inform the Chinese government that the United States will
no longer permit the "Made in the U.S.A." label to be used concerning goods
manufactured in Saipan; and will ban the importation of any such goods until
labor conditions conform with United States law concerning basic workers'
rights, and working conditions. Funding and enforcement are guaranteed. The
affirmative reserves the right to clarify the plan.

JV

Cornell KW

THE UNITED STATES FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD SUBSTANTIALLY INCREASE
ECONOMIC AND DIPLOMATIC PRESSURE ON THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA BY
IMPOSING AN IMPORT BAN ON ALL PRODUCTS FROM THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
and by conducting diplomatic talks with the people's republic of china
demanding that the people's republic of china change its labor practices.
ENFORCEMENT THROUGH NORMAL MEANS.

Cornell PV

>1.  GPA- The United States Federal Government should substantially
>increase economic and diplomatic pressure on the People's Republic of
>China to sign the Government Procurement Agreement of the World Trade
>Organization.
>
>2.  Space- The United States Federal Government should substantially
>increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of
>China by making access to United States' commercial satellite data and
>technology contingent upon the acceptance of a joint agreement banning the
>development and deployment of space weapons. We'll clarify.

Vermont

Novice

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase
diplomatic and economic pressure on the People?s Republic of China by,
after notifying the People?s Republic of China, removing the East
Turkestan Islamic Movement from all United States Terrorist
Organization lists it is currently listed on and by rescinding all
funding earmarked for educational aid to East Turkestan.

or

An aff that centers around the fact that the US and China are using joint tec to spy on pandas and their mating patterns.

The plan has the USFG ban its participation in joint satellite ventures and then recind funding it is giving China to research the pandas.

or

China exporting Bear bile which is used in make-up and herbal remedies.  They get this by totally cruelly murdering bears.  They use the Pelly Amendment to sanction China for this.  They read Deep Eco cards and have a reformist solvency mech?an?is?m

JV

Vermont HK-

One of the Following:

Thus within the context of this demand we stand Resolved that:

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase
diplomatic and economic pressure on the People?s Republic of China by,
after notifying the People?s Republic of China, removing the East
Turkestan Islamic Movement from all United States Terrorist
Organization lists it is currently listed on and by rescinding all
funding earmarked for educational aid to East Turkestan.

or an Aff about

China exporting Bear bile which is used in make-up and herbal remedies.  They get this by totally cruelly murdering bears.  They use the Pelly Amendment to sanction China for this.  They read Deep Eco cards and have a reformist solvency mech?an?is?m

Vermont MN-

A performance based affirmative where they play and sing original music and kritik the discourse of threat construction. The kritik white privilege and the "power of the ivory tower". See the resolution as an open text and speak back to it and not engaging in the dialogue. They will not defend state action in the context of the 1ac.

Vermont FK-

USFG ban the importation of all plastics form China and pressure China to stop manufacturing plastics. They claim a universal struggle against capitalism  is important and this can be a metaphor of condensation (zizek).

Vermont CW

Plan: The United States Federal Government should increase diplomatic and economic pressure on The Peoples Republic of China by revoking Most Favored Nation Status until China end its practices of discrimination against people with AIDS.

Binghamton

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the area of trade by having Bush issue an executive order that authorizes the use of sanctions as per the Victim's Protection Act through the Department of State by diplomatically changing Hong Kong to a tier three nation until China complies with the International Labor Organization's standards in regards to sex trafficking.

Western Connecticut

WestConn DU (DeZinno & Urbanski)

      The United States Federal Government should increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by amending the MOU of the JCEC to include a provision that promotes the continued research and use of the Vetiver System, with funding provided by the United States.  Funding and enforcement guaranteed, we reserve the right to clarify intent.

WestConn AT (Adarkwa & Tarsi)

      Whole Rez.

WestConn BF (Babykutty & Franco)

      The United States Federal Government should increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by amending the MOU of the JCEC to include a provision that promotes the continued research and use of the Vetiver System, with funding provided by the United States.  Funding and enforcement guaranteed, we reserve the right to clarify intent.

WestConn PV (Poprocki & Vu)

      The United States Federal Government should increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by amending the MOU of the JCEC to include a provision that promotes the continued research and use of the Vetiver System, with funding provided by the United States.  Funding and enforcement guaranteed, we reserve the right to clarify intent.

WestConn MW (Masline & Waterfall)

      The United States Federal Government should increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by amending the MOU of the JCEC to include a provision that promotes the continued research and use of the Vetiver System, with funding provided by the United States.  Funding and enforcement guaranteed, we reserve the right to clarify intent.

WestConn ST (Swanson & Thornton) Depending on the round, they will run either.

      The United States Federal Government should increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by amending the MOU of the JCEC to include a provision that promotes the continued research and use of the Vetiver System, with funding provided by the United States.  Funding and enforcement guaranteed, we reserve the right to clarify intent.

      Whole Rez.

New York Coalition

Novice

NYU LM, PY, PF

The USFG should substantially increase diplomatic and economic
pressure on the People's Republic of China by filing an official
dispute with the World Trade Organization's Dispute Settlement Board
concerning the People's Republic of China's failure to comply with
their Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property
Rights enforcement.

Adv:
LM, PF: economy, multilateralism
PY: economy, multilat, hr (sometimes heg)

NYU AH - new case: What should I do here?
(I'm not trying to be tricky, I'm just not sure what it will end up
being or what will be done for the tournament, so I don't even have a
plan text.  They mentioned something about quarentines the last I
checked.)

JV

BF
The USFG should substantially increase diplomatic and economic
pressure on the People's Republic of China by banning the importation
of solid wood packaging material (swpm).

VC
a critical AIDS aff, they DEMAND for conditional aid.  New
International and Apocolyptic rhetoric.

NYU BP
The USFG should condition all aid to the People's Republic of China on
the elimination of forced HIV/AIDS testing and HIV/AIDS related
quarantine in the People's Republic of China.

George Mason

GMU Grimm/Wagner

Plan stops trade with PRC until reforms are made regarding how they get fur
to trade.  Advantage = morality

GMU Rosen/Cladget

IPR: apply a tariff and submit a complaint to the WTO; Advantages
= Heg/Medicine/Organized Crime

GMU Haider/Golden

IPR: apply a tariff and submit a complaint to the WTO; Advantages
= Heg/Medicine/Organized Crime

GMU Morrison/Herbert

Plan stops trade with PRC until reforms are made regarding how they get fur
to trade.  Advantage = morality

Western Illinois

Plan:  The United States Federal Government should substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China, by using sanctions to encourage China to let NGOs and AIDS activists direct HIV/AIDS education and prevention programs throughout China.  Enforcement through normal means.

Liberty

Liberty OT

Plan: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase
diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the
area of weapons nonproliferation by imposing smart sanctions on the People's
Republic of China to cease the exportation of dual-use goods and
technologies associated with the production, development, and deployment of
ballistic missiles, and nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons. Will
clarify.

Liberty BM

Plan: WTO complaint to appreciate Chinese yuan against US dollar

Liberty HP

The United States Federal Government should increase diplomatic and economic pressure on The Peoples Republic of China by witholding export inport bank finacing unitl China stops it practices of population control.

Liberty's other JV affs

The USFG should substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the PRC by imposing provisional unilateral sanctions through normal means on all US imports from the PRC to be gradually eliminated upon compliance with ILOS.

The United States Federal Government should increase diplomatic and economic pressure on The Peoples Republic of China by imposing smart sanctions on the PRC until it stops its exportation of conventional arms.

Plan: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the area of trade by bringing a formal complaint before the World Trade Organization dispute settlement mechanisms for failure to fulfill its obligations under the Agreement on Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights.

The United States Federal Government should oppose all non-humanitarian world bank loans to the people's republic of China until the People's Republic of China ceases its assult on Ughur Muslims which violate human rights standards

Emporia

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase its diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by the United States Department of Labor listing imports of Chinese fireworks in violation of Executive Order No. 13126. The United States Department of Labor will pressure the People's Republic of China to comply with all forced and indentured labor and child labor standards found in Executive Order No. 13126 and the Tariff Act of 1930 in regards to the manufacture and export of fireworks.

Ask if you don't understand, we ban the import of Chinese fireworks, and pressure them to change the industry.

Notre Dame

The USFG will substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the
People's Republic of China to enter into a bilateral nuclear disarmament agreement with the United States.

Miami

MT

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase its economic and diplomatic pressure on the People's Republic of China by filing all necessary complaints with the United Nations that the People's Republic of China is in breach of the United Nations Law of the Sea Treaty.

Ask Questions, We'll Clarify

General

We Demand: The United States Federal Government should substanially increasediplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by having the State Department decrease their tier status from a tier two to tier three nation under the provisions of the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act of 2000.  These sanctions will be lifted once China meets the minimum standards for combatting traficking.

Advantages: Millitarism and Sexual Traficking is bad

Rochester

Novice

>Resolved: The United States federal government should diplomatically
>pressure the People's Republic of China in Beijing by removing the East
>Turkestan Islamic Movement from the State Department's terror list and
>should economically pressure the People's Republic of China in Beijing by
>ending funding currently targeted for Uyghur educational development.
>
>The United States Federal Government should substantially increase
>diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the
>area of human rights by refusing to engage in economic interaction of any
>sort until the Chinese government returns Choekyi Nyima to Tibet and
>limiting the scope of all diplomatic relations with the People's Republic
>of China to this matter.

JV

ROCHESTER WK AND MS HAVE THESE OPTIONS - WILL RUN THEM DEPENDING ON JUDGE /
>TEAM THEY HIT
>
>The United States Federal Government should substantially increase
>diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by
>offering political asylum to all persons desiring to leave China because of
>China's eugenics policies.  The United States Federal Government will
>condition all economic loans and funding given to Chinese institutions
>partaking in, researching, or administering eugenics policies, on the
>ending of participation in these
>policies.  We reserve the right to clarify intent.
>

>The United States Federal Government should substantially increase
>diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the
>areas of non-proliferation and trade by using positive sanctions,
>specifically the Cooperation Agreement of 1985, to establish a cooperative
>bilateral effort to disseminate Permissive Action Links to Pakistan.  The
>initiation or withdrawal of the Cooperation Agreement of 1985 will be
>contingent on China's agreement to the bilateral effort.  We reserve the
>right to clarify;  funding and enforcement through normal means.
>

>Rochester GR
>
>Ron and I feel like the Statement "resolved; the USFG should substantially
>increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the people's republic of china
>in
>one or more of the following areas: trade, weapons non-proliferation, human
>rights, taiwan" presents issues that need to be confronted. We think its
>important for the affirmitive team to discuss what an ethical relationship
>this statement should be.
>
>We offer no plan or advantages. We humbly submit that our interrogation of
>an
>ethical relationship to the topic is a topical reason to affirm the
>resolution.

*Potentially an Aids aff as well

Towson

Novice

Towson AB

United States Federal Government should apply consistent diplomatic pressure
in the form of negotiations and economic pressure by imposing sanctions on
the People's Republic of China to stop supplying the Royal Nepalese Army
with arms and ammunition.

JV

Towson HK

The United States Federal Government should apply economic pressure on the
People's Republic of China by mandating that American corporations stop
importing Chinese goods produced in violation of the labor rights specified
by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (articles 23, 24, 25) and
should condemn the PRC's human rights violations in front of the UN
Commission on Human Rights. Enforcement guaranteed.  We'll clarify intent.

Towson BO

United States Federal Government should apply consistent diplomatic pressure
in the form of negotiations and economic pressure by imposing sanctions on
the People's Republic of China to stop supplying the Royal Nepalese Army
with arms and ammunition.

KSU

General

NOTING THE CURRENT SITUATION IN THE SO-CALLED PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA "WE
THE PEOPLE" SHOULD PROMOTE THE USE OF TACTICAL ACTION.
SPECIFICALLY, RAFI AND I ADVOCATE OPENING THE INTERNET BY PLACING ECONOMIC
AND DIPLOMATIC PRESSURE ON THE SO-CALLED PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA.

Our advantages:
Human Agency, State Bad

LC/HE

>The United States Federal Government through the Executive Branch will
>enact a santion on the People's Republic of China, disallowing the
>import of fur or fur products to the United States.  Funding and
>enforcement as necessary.  We may clarify.
>

>Advantages:
>
>Non-Human Death and Anthropocentricism

Johnson County Community College

>The United States Federal Government should substantially increase
>diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China (PRC)
>by barring all US-China trade until the PRC overturns its Law on
>Population and Family Planning, known as the one-child policy.

Kansas City Kansas Community College

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase
diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the
area
of human rights by mandating diplomatic pressure on the People's Republic of
China to support United Nations Security Council sanctions on Sudan due to
human rights violations from oil extraction. And we mandate economic
pressure
on the People's Republic of China through mandatory United States divestment
in Chinese oil firms extracting oil in Sudan. Cross examination would be the
proper forum to ask questions before you run your spec arguments. Any
questions about our intent, just ask.

or.

PLAN: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase
diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the
area
of human rights by mandating diplomatic pressure on the People's Republic of
China to support United Nations Security Council sanctions on Sudan due to
human rights violations from oil extraction. And we mandate economic
pressure
on the People's Republic of China through mandatory United States divestment
in Chinese oil firms extracting oil in Sudan. Any questions about our
intent, just ask.

Georgetown

>Plan: The United States Federal Government should boycott the 2008 Olympic
>Games in Beijing to substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure
>on the PRC until China repeals the One Child Policy.
>
>This plan changes from round to round and we have run the following
>advantages: systemic harm and death, sex trafficking, biopower

JMU

JMU advocates that the USFG should support the call of the
Tashi Lunpo Monastery by Using diplomatic and economic
pressure on the people's republic of china. Specifically,
the goal of the plan is to secure the rights and respect
freedom of religion of Tibet by establishing a transparent
dialog and a timetable with specific benchmarks that are
designed to support the monestary's call for justice. As an
intial benchmark we demand that the People's Republic of
China accept the 5 demands of the TLM, including the release
of the Panchen Lama. The US will boycott the 2008 Olympics
until the PRC accepts the demands of the TLM.

Mary Washington

Mary Washington CS

The United States Federal Government, through the Executive Branch, should substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by prohibiting the exportation of dual-use semiconductor technology to the People's Republic of China, including all militarily-useful computer chips and future joint ventures.  We'll clarify.

Mary Washington BO

The United States Congress should substantially increase its diplomatic and economic pressure in the area of trade on the People's Republic of China by applying U.S. Countervailing Duty law against the People's Republic of China. Normal means applies.
By means of clarification, normal means includes the State Department announcing the plan. We reserve the right to clarify further.

Vanderbilt

Pressure China through the WTO on IPR

Bard

Novice:

Bard FR (Neesha Fakir and Travis Rubury)

We affirm the resolution as a starting point for a discussion about labor rights violations in China. We advocate that individuals should take a stance against labor rights violations and abuses in their every day lives; this includes but is not limited to engaging in a politics of non-participation with regards to goods made by sweatshop labor, contributing to anti-sweatshop movements, and using the political power of language to speak to people, communicate about these issues, and form connections around common goals.

Bard CM (Cassie Cornell and Rushaine McKenzie)

We affirm the entirety of the topic in its resolved-ness as a means of examining all of the little resolves about the United States and China that we as a debate community and the larger political community in the sphere of international relations hold.

JV:

Bard SW (Nathan Sweed and Ravenna Wilson)

We affirm the resolution because why not.

Wayne State

Wayne HP

Through all necessary means the United States Federal Government should
substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's
Republic of China to engage Taiwan in developing confidence building
measures including transparency measures, communication links, and
operational military constraints by economically pressuring the PRC with
direct conditional support.
We reserve the right to clarify intent.

The United States federal government should condition bilateral and
multilateral assistance related to the human immunodeficiency virus and
acquired immunodeficiency syndrome to the People's Republic of Chan on a
commitment to eliminate regulations preventing the formation and government
support of AIDS related NGO's in the peoples republic of China, as well as a
commitment of the Chinese government to end discriminatory laws and
practices against those suffering from HIV/AIDS.

We reserve the right to clarify intent.

Wayne GK

The United States Federal Government will substantially increase diplomatic
and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the area of
weapons nonproliferation. The USFG will amend the Arms Export Control Act to
sanction Chinese Parent companies and relevant subsidiaries that proliferate
ballistic missiles, parts, and technology as well as dual use technology
applicable to missile development. The USFG will notify the PRC of its
intent to utilize this economic sanction if the PRC fails to adhere to these
standards.

Funding and enforcement though normal means. Aff  speeches serve to clarify
intent.

Wayne JP

The United States federal government, specifically the Department of State,
should increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the Peoples Republic of
China by declaring China's policy of forced and coerced sterilization and
abortions a violation of human rights. The State Department will further
require all American based businesses to withdraw all economic contributions
to Chinese health care programs until forced and coerced sterilizations and
abortions have halted.

Enforcement guaranteed, we can clarify intent

United States Military Academy

Army FS (Fleming and Solberg)

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase economic and diplomatic pressure on the People's Republic of China by imposing capital market sanctions on Chinese State Owned Enterprises by normal means. We reserve the right to clarify.

Army CW (Crow and Warner)

The united states federal government will substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the PRC by banning US direct foreign and direct portfolio investment of Chinese SOEs. Enforcement through the SEC. We reserve the right to clarify.

Army KL (Keyes and Linford)

the United States Federal Government should substantially increase economic and diplomatic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the area of trade by revoking Permanent Normal Trade Relations with the People's Republic of China.  Plan uses normal means, reserve the right to clarify.

Army MP (Moore and Pulaski)

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase its diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the area of Human Rights by imposing sanctions on the investment in the offerings of Chinese State owned enterprises.

Army TZ (Thompson and Zeck)

That the United States Federal Government should substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China by imposing Capital Market sanctions on

the investment of Chinese State Owned Enterprises in United States Capital Markets.

Army DM (Dulys-Nusbaum and Marren)

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the area of human rights through capital market sanctions on Chinese State Owned Enterprises.  Plan uses normal means, ask questions if you have them.

Army JS (Jost and Suliman)

The united states federal government should substantially increase its diplomatic and economic pressure on the people's republic of china by banning Chinese state owned enterprises from United States capital markets.  Plan uses normal means, we reserve the right to clarify.

Army HK (Harpen and Kalin)

Plan: The United States Federal Government should substantially increase econoimc and diplomatic pressure on the People's Republic of China by imposing capital market sanctions on Chinese State Owned Enterprises by normal means. We reserve the right to clarify.

Army NQ (Nieves and Qirjazi)

Resolved: the United States Federal Government should establish a foreign policy substantially increasing economic and diplomatic pressure on the People's Republic of China in the area of Trade by banning all investment in the initial public offerings of Chinese state-owned enterprises.  Funding and enforcement are guaranteed through normal means.  Cross ex checks abuse.

United States Naval Academy

The United States Federal Government should substantially increase diplomatic and economic pressure on the People's Republic of China to end its arms-related exports to the Sudan by enacting legislation sanctioning, through a ban on imports to and exports from the US, prohibiting joint ventures with US firms, and barring from US capital markets, any foreign entities, including corporations, business associations, and governmental entities operating as a business enterprise, that are found to transfer, or own such an entity that is found to transfer, arms or arms-related technologies to any governmental or private entity operating in the Sudan.

Advantages we've run in the past:

Violence in the Sudan (rape, famine, genocide)

Terrorism

Economy Advantage (the I/L is auto manufacturing)