[eDebate] WVU Jv/Novi Nats was awesome!

Ken Johnson kenrjohnson
Tue Mar 7 09:29:42 CST 2006

Along with everybody, I would like to thank the WVU crew for hosting one
hellova tournament.  This tournament continues to be my favorite tournament
experience year in and year out.  There is something really special about it
-- for many of my debaters, it is what they spend the season preparing for
-- thank you for an excellent exclamation point on the end of our jv/novice
year.

Not (at all) to criticize, here are a few thoughts about comments other
folks have brought up and a new one of my own --

1. entry fees -- It is huge for us to not have to pay entry fees at this
tournament -- with 8 teams, i imagine we would have been paying $800-1000 to
attend if there had been fees.  We will use this extra $$ to try to take
extra folks to other (ndt/ceda nats) tournaments.  Thank you WVU!  That
being said (and i realize its a privileged position to say this), I'd be
willing to pay some sort of entry fee (25/team -- maybe 50??) to allow for 2
things --

a) better trophies for doubles through semis.  the championship challis was
great, but it would be nice to have something a little more deluxe for the
other folks.  for some, this is their last tournament ever.  not the biggest
deal ever, just a thought.

b) i hesitate to go down this road, but maybe the tournament could use fees
to hire a few helpers to ensure WVU people get to debate.  Those students
are incredible members of our community.  their selflessness in hosting this
tournament and sitting out nationals speaks to their commitment to the
community and the beauty of the WVU program.  I would love to see them in
the tournament.  Maybe folks could be hired with additional money to help
run ballots / set up food / get me coffee when i'm passing out during semis
(thank you!!!).  I know it would be an extra layer of hosting nightmare to
have to hire folks, get the tax work done, etc. ... just a thought

2.  Prefs -- I like them for this tournament -- it allows folks with
arguments that won't be considered by some of the judges to run their jazz
without be excluded.  maybe i'm dead wrong and the "strike 30%" idea would
be better for making sure people aren't silence, but i'll wait for that
argument before abandoning prefs.  i also like andy's idea of the strike
card for outrounds.

3.  tournament schedule -- yes, 4 on saturday, 3 + partial on sunday, and
outrounds forever on monday would be ideal.  even more ideal is having a
person willing to host.  whatever works for the host is fine by me.  i think
7 rounds is important for all the reasons everybody else has stated.

all in all, this was a wonderful experience.  even my students who did not
clear said they learned a bunch (we have a number of bard-style converts --
watch out world!!!).  WVU is a gorgeous campus.  great class rooms for
debates.  and the weather was awesome!!!

thank you neil for all that you do.  i know you wouldn't, but please do not
take these comments as criticism; just as utopian thoughts for improvement
of a difficult logistical situation.

We should be proud of our debate community!

Ken Johnson
Rochester