[eDebate] NW CEDA Champs Thanks!!!

GatorDebate at aol.com GatorDebate
Wed Mar 8 09:56:22 CST 2006

After this past weekends NW CEDA Champs tournament, all I can say is  "wow."
I had not been to the tournament in eleven years so when Jim  offered to pay
travel expenses for some teams to come to the tournament I  decided to throw
our hat in the ring and I can't tell you how happy we were to  be one of the
six teams.

The tournament hospitality was first rate.  Food after every  debate.  The
schedule was fantastic.  10:00 AM start times should be  the standard.  The
massages and the acapella singing group (no joke) were  some of the most
interesting and nicest personal touches I've seen at a debate  tournament ever.

Big thanks to Jim and Aaron who did a great job as hosts.  Thanks to  the
entire Whitman debate squad and a big thanks to Dave Guidry who helped get  us
around all weekend.

As an old CEDA guy, it is sad to see all the history and tradition  of my
organization wiped away as teams have abandoned most of what used to  be the
biggest tournaments in favor of the traditional NDT tournaments.  NW  CEDA champs
was one of those truly great tournaments and I think with what Jim  is doing
for that tournament it will come back.  I really hope that next  year more
folks come out to the Northwest.  I know we'll be back.

frank

Frank P.  Irizarry
Debate Coach/Lecturer/Doctoral Student
University of  Florida
Center for Written and Oral Communication
413 Rolfs Hall
PO Box  112032
Gainesville, FL 32611-2032
Tel: 352-392-5421 (Office)
Tel:  386-216-3193 (Cell)
Fax: 352-392-5420
Gatordebate at aol.com

"Then I  got myself a factory job, I ran an old machine
And I bought a little cottage  in a neighborhood serene
And every night when I'd come home with every muscle  sore
She'd drag me through the streets of Baltimore
Well I did my best to  bring her back to what she used to be
Then I soon learned she loved those  bright lights more than she loved me
Now I'm a going back on that same train  that brought me here before
While my baby walks the streets of  Baltimore"
- Gram Parsons, "Streets of  Baltimore"