[eDebate] IF YOU WANT TO GET ON LINE....

Scott Deatherage lsd041
Mon Mar 20 08:16:53 CST 2006

....while you are on the Northwestern campus, you must first follow
two ESSENTIAL steps.  They are outlined below in a note from our
Information Technology staff.  BE AWARE:  IF YOU DO NOT FOLLOW THE
INSTRUCTIONS IN THE FIRST STEP, YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE SOFTWARE
NECESSARY TO ACCESS THE NORTHWESTERN NETWORK.

ADDITIONALLY, IF YOU PLUG INTO THE NETWORK WITH AN INFECTED MACHINE,
YOUR USER NAME AND PASSWORD WILL BE DEACTIVATED.  IT is on a limited
staff on Friday and is closed on Saturday and Sunday, so you WILL NOT
be able to replace your user name and password.  The instructions in
link two will help you clean-up your machine.

You have  been appropriately warned.  My strongest suggestion is that
you take care of these instructions while you are at home and have
access to your own network.

Best, all.  SD

Here's the most important link for visitors:
http://www.it.northwestern.edu/oncampus/wireless/wireless-connections/

It has complete instructions about how to configure an NU wireless
connection for Windows and Macs.

As for cleaning their computers, we recommend that everyone follow these
steps:

1) Install anti-virus software and configure it to update automatically
2) Configure automatic updates for your computer
3) Set a strong operating system password
4) Install anti-spyware software and configure it to update automatically
5) Enable a firewall

Complete information about these steps can be found at
http://www.it.northwestern.edu/5steps/. However, the information is very
specific to NU, so you should include the following caveats:

1) NU provides Symantec AntiVirus software to all members of the NU
community. Needless to say, this is not available to visitors. The most
important thing is that visitors have UP TO DATE antivirus software
installed on their machines.
2) NUIT only supports Windows XP and Mac OS 10.2 and above, so our Web site
only provides instructions for those operating systems. Students using older
operating systems should follow the 5 steps listed above to the best of
their ability, and they may want to explore the
http://www.it.northwestern.edu/oncampus/ site more thoroughly to make sure
they have everything they need to connect to NU's wireless network.