[eDebate] WVU JV/Novice Nats--awards and thoughts

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Mon Mar 6 10:35:30 CST 2006

Thanks to neil and the west virginai folks the tournament was great, i
enjoyed staying late and seeing it wind down.

Two things.

1) Six round tournament. I ring in with a resounding no on this, this
tournament is special for many of the squads in the east and the midwest who
consider it  a national tournament and i think last year truly captured how
good it could be. I think its really important to make the tournament like
nationals and not like a big regional tournament. This should mean 7 or 8
prelim rounds and should also mean outrounds at the hotel on monday, not in
classroom building on sunday. Give the JV and novice students who work all
year to win nationals the opportunity to debate on the big stage, georgetown
got this right, if west virginia is not interested in doing this then as
much as like neil and the tournament he hosted i dont think nationals should
be in west virginia i think a big regional tournament should.

2) Prefs- Neil is the statistician here but i think that keeping prefs, but
shifting the way that they are done could solve this problem, again one of
the wonderful things about this tournament is that it is the only tournament
of this size and this caliber for students who do their work in jv and
novice and one of the good things about it is that it lets you choose after
a year of debating who the most preferrred critics are and i think for the
most part students i have spoken to love this. I think outrounds could move
to a strike card system for later out rounds and that the number of pref
categories could be decreased but that students should get to choose the
judges they prefer. ? for neil. Does your desire to do this  stem from  the
input of competitors? Did they suggest this solution  or did they suggest a
problem and you suggested the solution?

Andy Ellis