[eDebate] WVU JV/Novice Nats--awards and thoughts

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Mon Mar 6 12:54:12 CST 2006

Quick response:
1.  Let me thank Andy for his willingness to come down and be available for
all the outrounds.  It is commitment like that that makes our community what
it is on its best days.
2.  Let me also thank Andy for his frankness.  I appreciate that.
3.  If WVU hosts this tournament next year, it can either be a 6 or 7 round
tournament starting Friday afternoon and ending on Sunday night on campus.
If people want something else, we're cool with that.  If people prefer a
Saturday-Monday tournament with outrounds at the hotel, and you can find
someone to host it who is reasonably centrally located and acceptable to the
community, go for it.  That would mean my students could compete, I could
save dozens of hours of missed time with my family, and I could save the
taxpayers of West Virginia about $9000.  If there is not such an
alternative, we're willing to do it.
4.  On the tab stuff, I don't have time today to debate the details, but
Andy's idea and argument seems potentially reasonable as well.  A modified
pref system might work well.  Within what I now know the constraints to be,
I would be willing to do what I think the sense of the community is
(providing people understand the various tradeoffs involved:  using prefs
vs. saving some time in power-pairing; going to large numbers of strikes vs.
needing more rounds to account for people being so under-preferred as to
make them unusable if we're trying to avoid mutual 5s and 6s).--Neil