[eDebate] WVU Jv/Novi Nats was awesome!

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Tue Mar 7 12:16:29 CST 2006

Thanks, Ken (and others) for your feedback.  Let me note that I've become convinced that I was too hasty on the prefs issue.  I think Andy, Ken, Ken, Joe, and others are probably right.  If we do this next year, we would use a 4-to-6 category pref system, probably supplemented with strike cards for late outrounds.

I would note that I shared Ken D.'s concern that Emporia, UTSA, and Oklahoma were disadvantaged in later outrounds by the departures of other D3 schools (and had similar concerns for Liberty with the fairly early departure of most D7 schools), but I thought it was important to get people on the road as soon as possible.

Other issues raised have been noted; I will respond soon (and am looking at an outside possibility of being able to do 7 rounds with doubles on Sunday and octas-to-finals at the hotel on Monday; cost and the ability to have 16 rounds simultaneously without disturbing one another are the issues).

Please keep the feedback coming.
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ken Johnson<mailto:kenrjohnson at msn.com>
  To: edebate at ndtceda.com<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com>
  Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 10:29 AM
  Subject: [eDebate] WVU Jv/Novi Nats was awesome!

  Along with everybody, I would like to thank the WVU crew for hosting one
  hellova tournament.  This tournament continues to be my favorite tournament
  experience year in and year out.  There is something really special about it
  -- for many of my debaters, it is what they spend the season preparing for
  -- thank you for an excellent exclamation point on the end of our jv/novice
  year.

  Not (at all) to criticize, here are a few thoughts about comments other
  folks have brought up and a new one of my own --

  1. entry fees -- It is huge for us to not have to pay entry fees at this
  tournament -- with 8 teams, i imagine we would have been paying $800-1000 to
  attend if there had been fees.  We will use this extra $$ to try to take
  extra folks to other (ndt/ceda nats) tournaments.  Thank you WVU!  That
  being said (and i realize its a privileged position to say this), I'd be
  willing to pay some sort of entry fee (25/team -- maybe 50??) to allow for 2
  things --

  a) better trophies for doubles through semis.  the championship challis was
  great, but it would be nice to have something a little more deluxe for the
  other folks.  for some, this is their last tournament ever.  not the biggest
  deal ever, just a thought.

  b) i hesitate to go down this road, but maybe the tournament could use fees
  to hire a few helpers to ensure WVU people get to debate.  Those students
  are incredible members of our community.  their selflessness in hosting this
  tournament and sitting out nationals speaks to their commitment to the
  community and the beauty of the WVU program.  I would love to see them in
  the tournament.  Maybe folks could be hired with additional money to help
  run ballots / set up food / get me coffee when i'm passing out during semis
  (thank you!!!).  I know it would be an extra layer of hosting nightmare to
  have to hire folks, get the tax work done, etc. ... just a thought

  2.  Prefs -- I like them for this tournament -- it allows folks with
  arguments that won't be considered by some of the judges to run their jazz
  without be excluded.  maybe i'm dead wrong and the "strike 30%" idea would
  be better for making sure people aren't silence, but i'll wait for that
  argument before abandoning prefs.  i also like andy's idea of the strike
  card for outrounds.

  3.  tournament schedule -- yes, 4 on saturday, 3 + partial on sunday, and
  outrounds forever on monday would be ideal.  even more ideal is having a
  person willing to host.  whatever works for the host is fine by me.  i think
  7 rounds is important for all the reasons everybody else has stated.

  all in all, this was a wonderful experience.  even my students who did not
  clear said they learned a bunch (we have a number of bard-style converts --
  watch out world!!!).  WVU is a gorgeous campus.  great class rooms for
  debates.  and the weather was awesome!!!

  thank you neil for all that you do.  i know you wouldn't, but please do not
  take these comments as criticism; just as utopian thoughts for improvement
  of a difficult logistical situation.

  We should be proud of our debate community!

  Ken Johnson
  Rochester