[eDebate] JV/Novice Nationals

Joe Patrice joepatrice
Wed Mar 8 23:00:40 CST 2006

I'm just going to focus on the concept of the CEDA leadership intervening in
this matter.  I cannot speak for the rest of the ole executive branch, but I
don't think this fits within the powers of the CEDA executive.

First of all, two of the "National" tournaments on the schedule are ADA and
the NDT...while a blatant CEDA power grab would fulfill a certain
megalomaniacal vision of CEDA's future (come on...one of us self-identifies
as "Chief"...you have to see world domination coming), I don't think anyone
thinks CEDA can tell ADA and the NDT to stop having their tournaments.

So, beyond CEDA Nats, can CEDA dictate what tournaments call themselves
"Nationals?"  I think that also goes beyond the Constitution.  Perhaps an
amendment is necessary to provide the executive the role of accrediting a
JV/Novice National tournament, but I don't see that power there now.

And I would argue that I'm leaning toward this being a power that CEDA
should not have.  If your proposal is that one location should be designated
as the sole JV/Novice national tournament, that would best realize the word
"national" but I think it could be counterproductive to what we're hoping to
accomplish with JV/Novice Nats.  For a variety of reasons, most JV/Novice
squads are not in a position to fly their debaters all over the country for
one tournament.  Many JV/Novice programs have small budgets, many JV/Novice
programs have 4 or 5 teams they want to travel to these tournaments, many
have open teams too and need to balance their budget to travel to these
tournaments AND CEDA Nats (and some to the NDT) and certainly that would be
difficult for us to afford if CEDA dictated that THE novice national
tournament was the Sac State JV/Novice nats.  While it is not perhaps
"National" the current structure of 3 "Super-Regional" championships (West,
Middle, East) that allow cross-over maximizes the national feel without
sacrificing one geographical set of teams to the altar of defining a single
national tournament (and I say 3 because, despite its title, I think we can
all agree that this thread is not focusing on Northwestern tournament, whose
eligibility rules make it more accurately "Frosh Nationals" or "TOC Part 2:
The Quickening").

To conclude, I do not think this is an area for CEDA leadership intervention
and I would argue strongly against dictating one tournament as the sole
JV/Novice Nationals because that necessarily leads to some novice teams
having nowhere to go.

Joe