[eDebate] YOUR program & International Debate

Alfred C. Snider Alfred.Snider
Fri May 12 13:19:15 CDT 2006

Intl Debate Starter session...

Never done any international debating? Would you like to try a bit of
international debating to see what it is like? Are you looking for a
friendly, educational and affordable way to get your feet wet?

Then the International Debate Academy is for you. Here is why:
-18 different countries in attendance (last year) so you do a lot of
great networking.
-Training for students provided by outstanding international faculty.
-Timing over Thanksgiving break avoids missing classes.
-Parliamentary debate training (for those with policy experience)
-British parliamentary debate training for those who debate NPDA/APDA.
BP is the most popular debate format in the world.
-Get a start towards trying out the BP format World Universities Debate
Championship next year held in British Columbia.
-One or more critiqued practice debates each day.
-Tournament concludes the program.
-Evenings free, social gatherings, lots of fun.
-190 Euros covers housing, food, instruction.
-Easy travel connections through Berlin (USA-Berlin, then Easyjet from
Berlin to Ljubljana) or through Venice (USA-Venice then short train to
Ljubljana). Or, make your own decision and visit somewhere in Europe
you have always wanted see.

Let me know if you have any questions. Last year I brought policy
debaters and they loved it (and their speaker points went up). Sam
Nelson from Cornell was there and says this year he will bring students
because it is such a valuable program. This is a great way to take your
first fling at international debating.

The program is also supported and sponsored by the European Parliament
and the USA Embassy Slovenia. Below is the formal announcement:

Tuna

INTERNATIONAL DEBATE ACADEMY SLOVENIA
For university students

17th ? 24th November 2006, Ormoz, Slovenia

ZIP ? Za in proti (ZIP), Pro et Contra, Institute for the Culture of Dialogue
WDI ? World Debate Institute, Vermont, USA

Shortly, what is it about?
It is about intensive debate training & debate tournament & a lot of
fun. It is organized by ZIP ? Pro et Contra, Institute of Culture of
Dialogue, Slovenia, and WDI ? World Debate Institute, Vermont, USA.
Head of Trainers is Alfred C. Snider, worldwide known professor of
debate from the World Debate Institute. Participants will be provided
with a research package that will include basic information about the
topics covered. The essence of the Academy will be interactive
workshops, based on practice. At the end of the Academy, there will be
a tournament in British Parliamentary Style.

IDAS 2003 & IDAS 2004 & IDAS 2005
We are organizing International Debate Academy Slovenia for the 4th
time. The first one, IDAS 2003, was a modest start with 40 participants
from Germany, Slovakia the USA and Slovenia. The IDAS 2004 was a huge
success ? over 60 participants from 13 countries from all over Europe
and America (Bulgaria, Croatia, England, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia,
Romania, Russia, Serbia and Montenegro, Slovakia, Sweden, the USA, and
Slovenia). We had trainers from the USA, England, Serbia and Slovenia.
The ambassadors of the USA and EU, who joined the discussions on the
transatlantic relations, also visited us. Not many events do have such
high-ranking guests. IDAS 2005 was a further step towards international
success ? about 60 participants form 19 countries and excellent debate
trainers form Asia, Europe, and America.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED,  FOR MORE DETAILED INFORMATION ?

For whom do we organize it?
We organize IDAS2005 for ALL university students from all over the world.
It is designed for students who want to develop their rhetorical and
debate skills and deepen their knowledge on current socio-political
issues. We will have various workshops in small groups ? for
experienced, for less experienced debaters and also for debaters with
no experience. At the end of the Academy everybody will debate and have
the opportunity to learn from each other.

Basic activities
Activities during the Academy will be divided in three parts:
1. Interactive debate training during the first days of IDAS 2006. This
is the main and the most important part. The Academy will consist of
lectures, workshops and debates. We will provide further knowledge on
debating and public speaking by working with famous debate trainers for
students whose debating skills and experience vary and bring together
international university students and experts to engage in discussions
on the issue of importance, confronting their own views, opinions and
ideas as well as those of others.
2. Debate tournament: we will have a real debate tournament at the end
of the Academy. There will be a chance for participants with different
levels of experience to debate with each other and by that learn from
each other.
3. Evening activities: we will organize a kitch-party, a country
exhibition (presentation of food & drinks, history, politics, etc. of
every country participating ? the real international cultural
exchange), fun games, dancing + lots of talking and getting to know
each other (maybe even a chance for a romance?).

Outline of a day?s schedule:
      8.00 ? 9.00 am: Breakfast
      9.00 ? 11.30 am: Lectures and discussions
      11.30 am: Coffee Break
      12.00 ? 1.30 pm: Debate and public speaking workshop
      1.30 ? 3.00 pm: Lunch break
      3.00 ? 5.00 pm: Debate and public speaking workshop
      5.00 pm: Coffee break
      5.30 ? 7.00 pm: Practice debate
      7.00 ? 8.00 pm: Dinner
      8.00 ? 9.30 pm: Open forum, experts, academics, high governmental
representatives,
media and general public invited     Faculty
Director of the Academy: Bojana Skrt, ZIP, Slovenia

Head of Trainers: Alfred C. Snider, World Debate Institute, University
of Vermont, USA

Participation fee & what does it cover?
The participation fee will be 190 Euro.
There might be a possibility for scholarships ? it depends on the
funding we will get. No worries ? apply and we will inform you about
these possibilities as soon as we get this information!

The sum of 190 Euro covers virtually everything ? training, tournament,
accommodation and three meals per day. You only have to cover your
travel expenses. There are great opportunities to come to Slovenia by
low-cost airlines: easyJet to Ljubljana, Ryanair to Graz in Austria,
many low-cost airlines to Zagreb etc. If you plan your trip in advance,
you can get return tickets from London for as little as 50-100 Euro.
Contact us on IDAS2006 at gmail.com  and let us become your travel advisor!

APPLICATION DEADLINE
Application deadline is 15th September! The sooner you apply the higher
your chances of being accepted will be. We will be able to accept only
a limited number of participants!

Conditions for applying:
-Be a university student
-Fill in the online application form till 15th September. The
application form is available on http://www.ljudmila.org/debata/en

Criteria for acceptance of participants:
'First come first serve' rule will apply
This criteria will be corrected by the criteria of quota per country ?
we want to assure a true international environment

?NOW CONTACT US ON: IDAS2006 at GMAIL.COM.  You can also visit our website
www.ljudmila.org/debata/en.

We will provide you with any information about the IDAS2006 you may desire! :)

Primoz Karnar,

On behalf of the
Organizing Committee

--