[eDebate] Invite for Thurgood Marshall Season Opener Workshop (9/30-10/1)

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Thu May 18 10:43:32 CDT 2006

May, 16 2006

Friends, colleagues, and debaters everywhere,

We invite you to join us at the Thurgood Marshall Season Opening Warm-up
Tournament, *September 30th & October 1st, 2006*, in Towson, MD . This
tournament offers a unique opportunity for a season opening workshop and
tournament. We will offer four preliminary rounds and several hours of
workshop sessions, which will be taught by judges, coaches, and experienced
debaters. Bring out experienced, debaters or students who have never debated
before they are all welcome to join us to start the season.

We will offer 4 Rounds of debate and break to semi-finals in varsity and in
novice.

This tournament will be CEDA sanctioned and will use the 9-3-6 time limits
with 10 minutes of preparation per team per round. We will debate the CEDA
topic.

We offer start times conducive to commuting (10:30 Saturday and Sunday start
times) and a schedule which allows humane but hardworking days (done by 6
Saturday and Sunday). We have not negotiated a hotel deal but can provide
information for you about rates and group discounts at local hotels.

We encourage new, local, and student-run teams to begin their college debate
season at this tournament and have low and negotiable entry fees of 15
dollars per team. There are fee waivers for new programs, teams with Urban
Debate League Alums, and colleges willing to donate significantly to the
tournament. If the fees are a problem talk to us and we can work something
out.

We do not provide meals, but will provide snacks and coffee all day long and
will have 90-minute lunch breaks. We will also coordinate several delivery
orders at registration. There are many good options in Towson and in the
area and we will provide extensive food guides.

Registration will be at 10:00AM Saturday September 30th, and entries are due
via debate results (www.debateresults.com) by Wednesday September 27th at
5:00 PM.

Details are provided below, please contact me if you have any questions
(240-285-083 or andy at budl.org).

Please join us in kicking off the 2006-2007 college debate season in
Baltimore. Thank you and see you in the fall.

Andy Ellis                                      Beth Skinner
Chris Baron

*ELIGIBILITY & EXPECTATIONS*: The tournament is open to any two-person team
of undergraduate students. Teams in all divisions will be expected to engage
in
switch-sides debating. Maverick entries are discouraged and allowed at the
discretion of the tab room director. Towson may enter teams and those teams
can clear in all divisions. Hybrid teams will be accepted. Novices should
meet the CEDA standards for novice eligibility. Varsity is open to any
competitor.

*ENTRIES & FEES:* Please enter via debate results www.debateresults.com, you
will receive a confirmation. Fees $15 per team OR free for programs that
include at least one UDL alum or are new this season. Entry fees cover
trophies and snacks each day for competitors and the judge covering the
team. Observers are welcome and can either pay $5 per day for snacks or
choose to bring their own food.

 *FORMAT: *The tournament will have 4 preliminary rounds; advancement to
elimination rounds will be based on (1) win-loss record, (2) total speaker
points, (3) adjusted speaker points, and (4) strength of opposition. Speaker
points may be given in .5 increments.

The first two rounds will be pre-set.  Rounds 3 will be paired off rounds 1
& 2. Round 4 will be paired of rounds 1-3.  Time limits will be 9-3-6 with
10 minutes prep time. Elimination round sides will be determined based on
(1) reversing sides from a prelim meeting, (2) individual coin flips.

*WORKSHOP SESSIONS: * We will take requests both for sessions to teach and
for sessions you would like to have taught. Look for announcements about the
workshop sessions and a blog dedicated to getting good pre-planning in
place.

*JUDGES:* One judge is required to cover every two teams. A very limited
number of judges may be available for hire through the tournament at $100
per uncovered team. Contact us early if you need help finding judges. Judges
should meet the standards of the sanctioning organizations.

* *

*HOTELS:* We will provide lists of hotels in the area and their price
throughout the spring and summer. Until we can assure enough non commuting
presence we will not negotiate a hotel deal. We encourage you to make
arrangements with other teams coming from outside of the area and will
facilitate group arrangements when we can. Check edebate and the Baltimore
College Debate's website (currently http://www.myspace.com/bmorecollegedb8)

* *

*TRAVEL: *Towson is easily accessible from the I-95 corridor to the north
and south and from the I-70 corridor to the west. Towson is 100 miles from
Philly, 70 miles from Harrisburg, 80 miles from Hagerstown, 60 miles from
DC, 70 miles from Wilmington Delaware and less then 50 miles from Bowie and
Annapolis. More information can be found here
http://wwwnew.towson.edu/main/abouttu/visitor/dircampus.asp

*PARKING:  *We suggest you park in the Towsontown Garage or Visitor Lot 6
and Lot 5 if it is open. You can drop students off at the circle between
Psychology and Linthicum. Please see the map at
http://wwwnew.towson.edu/adminfinance/auxservices/parking/documents/TU_Parking_Map2005_005.pdffor
more information.
* *

*FOOD: * We do not provide meals however you can bring your own lunches,
order food or visit nearby eating establishments during the 90 minute lunch
breaks.  We will also coordinate several big delivery orders during
registration. Snacks will be provided through out the day and coffee will be
available through out the tournament.

* *

*SCHEDULE:*

*Saturday 9/30*