[eDebate] First Amendment isn't too broad?

J T jtedebate
Mon May 29 11:31:23 CDT 2006

Here's another good subject divided site that lists cases:
http://www.oyez.org/oyez/portlet/directory/

is there a possible area where there is not a hundred cases?
...even if we limited it to libel & defamation, the 1st Amendment Center identifies the follow as the major & relevant cases (but actually there are a few more):
Libel & defamation
 New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254 (1964)
 Gertz v. Welch, 418 U.S. 323 (1974)
 Curtis Publishing Co. v. Butts, 388 U.S. 130 (1967) (consolidated with Associated Press v. Walker)
 Milkovich v. Lorain Journal Co., 497 U.S. 1 (1990)
 Rosenblatt v. Baer, 338 U.S. 75 (1966)
 Rosenbloom v. Metromedia, 403 U.S. 29 (1971)
 Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire, 315 U.S. 568 (1942)
So a possibility of seven+ cases...then the multiple ways people can run the affs...and this is just a part of libel cases...so why isn't all this inevitable?...or it is not as bad as people think if you believe my args above...

how many of the 1st Amend. cases you sent overturn each other?  After looking at the more recent cases (since 2000), it seems like the majority deal with freedom of expression issues...I think this is the area where there is the most diversity of social issues to be discussed (no, this does not mean each of these will be cases)...

Ryan Galloway <rwlcgalloway at gmail.com> wrote: Of course, you can't just randomly list off areas...you need terms of
art like "law enforcement" "1st amendment protections" "health
law"...sorry but "1st amendment" is far from broad!

>I'm hoping the latter is just irony online that I missed...The scope
of first amendment law affects everything from panhandling legislation
to the constitutionality of tax law to the scope of congressional
investigations into the president.

-RG

JT

Asst. Debate Coach