[eDebate] KC Guide Dining Options Near Campus

Darren Elliott delliott
Mon May 29 23:56:20 CDT 2006

Dining Options near the Campus:

Village West:  Located just 3 miles to the West of campus, Village West offers the most in dining, shopping, and entertainment.  Take State Avenue West past the I435 interchange until you see it on your right.  Located between State and Parallel Parkway there are various dining options.  I will try and list all I remember but there is new stuff opening daily.  It is also home to a 14 screen movie complex, Nebraska Furniture Mart, and Cabela?s.  Check out www.legendsshopping.com or www.villagewest.us/ for more details.

1.  Arthur Bryant?s.  My favorite KC BBQ, the original on Brooklyn Ave is still the best but this cleaner version is still good and offers the same menu.  A Ken D. favorite.
2.  Dave and Buster?s.  The Dallas based chain that combines a bar, restaurant, arcade games, and dining.  21 and over unless there are members who are over 30 who can serve as a guardian for anyone under 21.  Good food and good drinks.
3.  Yard House.  A good place for burgers and beer.  120+ beers on tap I have been told.
4.  Cheeseburger in Paradise.  Jimmy?s place.  Good burgers and live music.
5.  Famous Dave?s.  BBQ from a chain restaurant but pretty darn good.  I am a big fan of the Onion strings.
6.  Irish Pub.  Behind Famous Dave?s.  Great Potato pancakes for the vegetarian in your life.
7.  Applebee?s.  Same parking lot as Arthur Bryants and Jonny Carinos.
8.  Montana Ted?s Steakhouse.  Good steaks.
9.  Bob Evans.  Good breakfast.  Havent had anything else there.
10. IHOP.  Stuffed French toast*nuff said!
11. Hooters.  Wings, big chicken sandwiches, and lots of beer.
12. Granite City.  A microbrewery that is really good.
13. Johnny Carino?s.
14. Sheridan?s Frozen Custard.  Better than ice cream and they even have those little baseball hat sundaes.
15. Longhorn Steakhouse.
16. Outback Steakhouse.
17. Planet Sub.

The following places are just a minute or 2 from the campus and are broken down into types of food.
Chinese:

Lucky Chinese Buffet.  Corner of 78th and State in the Kmart shopping lot.  Lunch and Dinner buffet.  Cheap and a lot of food.  Pretty good.  Big fan of the chicken nuggets.

Chinese Buffet (seriously that?s the name).  Just past the Lucky Chinese Buffett, same side of street on State Ave. next to Hoops Sports Bar.  I had never been in there in the 4 years I?ve been at KCKCC.  Then a month ago I finally went.  It is great.  Excellent Curry Chicken.  Also cheap.  Not as big a buffet as the Lucky one but certainly as good if not better.  And those little puffy pastries..mmmmm!

Evergreen Restaurant.  Between 72nd and 78th on State in the Price Chopper shopping parking lot.  Never eaten here.  Debaters say its good and you get a lot of food.

Mexican:

Alvarado?s Casa De Tacos.  Combination Mexican and Italian (go figure*but its pretty good).  Just West of campus on State Avenue next to the Marine recruiting station and Arbys at about 75th st.  Good salsa and excellently priced lunch specials.  A favorite of the debate team.

Taqueira Arrandas.  Just west of 78th and State Ave. on the South side of State.  In an old IHOP with a steep orange pitched roof.  Really good white cheese dip.  Good specials.

Italian:

Alvarado?s Casa De Tacos.  Combination Mexican and Italian (go figure*but its pretty good).  Just West of campus on State Avenue next to the Marine recruiting station and Arbys at about 75th st.  Good salsa and excellently priced lunch specials.  I like the Fettucine from the Italian menu.  Also a good Italian steak sandwich served with onion rings.  A favorite of the debate team.

Jonny Carino?s.  Located 3 miles west of campus in Village West.  Take State Ave. West going under I435 then Village West is on the right.  Great Italian nachos and good desserts like Cannoli?s.

Fast Food:

Taco Bell.  Just across from the entrance to campus in the South side of State Ave.  Eat Taco Bell at your own risk*not just the KC one but any one.

Arby?s.  North side of State Ave. ? to the West of the campus entrance.  5 for $5.95 cant beat that.

Papa John?s.  Across from the Arby?s on State Ave.

Kentucky Fried Chicken.  South side of State Avenue across from McDonald?s about ? mile West of the campus entrance.

Captain D?s.  Same parking lot as the KFC.

McDonald?s.  North side of State ave. about ? mile to the West of the campus entrance.

Burger King.  Price Chopper parking lot at 78th and State Ave.

Sonic.  78th and State Avenue just to the South of the intersection on the West side of 78th.  Next to the Jiffy Lube.

Subway.  78th and State Avenue Kmart parking lot just west of the Lucky Chinese Buffet.

Wendy?s.  There are 2 of them close to campus.  One is on 78th st. south of State Avenue about 1 mile.  It is across from the Quik Trip next to the Microtel.  The other one is on Parallel Parkway.  Go North on 78th from State Avenue and the next major street is Parallel.  Located on Parallel less than ? block west of 78th st.

24 Hours:

Perkins.  As you exit the campus and turn West on State look up the hill to your right (north).  The entrance will sneak up on you.  It is next to a Priscilla?s.  But aren?t they all?

IHOP.  3 miles West of campus in the Village West complex.  North end of the complex.  Actually sits off Parallel Parkway and I 435.

McDonald?s and Burger King drive thrus.

Sports Bars:

To the Hoop.  Located between the Chinese Buffets on State Avenue just West of 78th St.  Sits on the north side of State Avenue.  Small little friendly bar.  Owned by the college?s Athletic Director.  Ask for Dan Pratt and if he is there tell him the Debate Coach sent you in.

Sports Page.  Located back in the woods behind the Papa Johns on State Avenue.  Go south when you see the Papa Johns and at the top of the hill turn left into the parking lot.  Good sized bar, pretty good food actually, and a lot of televisions for sports.