[eDebate] KC Guide to 24 hour Dining

Darren Elliott delliott
Mon May 29 23:58:55 CDT 2006

24 Hour Late Night Dining Guide to KC:

If you find yourself out in the wee hours of the night and looking for something to tide you over till the morning continental at your hotel of choice, please consider the following options.  In fact, the 1st two I would personally be glad to take anyone to because like our BBQ they are KC tradition and everyone should go at least once.

1.	Chubby's.  They bill themselves the "Home of the Big One".  That's a giant hamburger by the way.  This is a typical greasy spoon catering to late night revelers in the midtown area.  A 24 hour joint with jukeboxes in every booth and at the counter, this place is legendary.  They serve a chicken fried steak on the breakfast menu that is so big it needs its own plate.  Breakfast is good, the malts are great, the chili dog is excellent and the Chicken Strip and Fries meal is big enough for even the heartiest of eaters (think me, Malcolm, Ken D, or Louie.  You get the idea).  When friends or family come to KC I try to take them here at least once and in the middle of the night for the atmosphere.

2.	Town Topic.  This is a 24 hour near standing room only diner in downtown KC, MO that serves the best burgers, onion rings, and a breakfast called the Truck Stop.  The Truck Stop is huge and not for the weak.  This place has a pinball machine, jukebox, 8 bar stools and a promise.  Same family has been running it since the 60's.  It opened in the 1930's.  Don't go right at 2:30-3am as it will be standing room only and a long wait as the bars are just getting out.

3.	Taqueria.  This is a Mexican restaurant off Southwest Blvd in KC, MO near downtown that is open until 4am.  Excellent food and excellent white cheese dip.  Ask for directions if you get a late night craving for Mexican Food.

4.	Perkins.  Closer to the campus.  Right next to it in fact.  Just to the West past campus on State next to a Priscilla's.  Is it just KC or are all Perkins next to adult stores?

5.	IHOP.  We have a lot of them throughout the Metro but the one closest to campus is in Village West 3 miles West of campus off of State Avenue and Parallel Parkway.  If you find yourself staying in Johnson County there is one at 119th and Strang Line Rd just off I35.

6.	Waffle House.  Closest one to campus is in Bonner Springs about 5 minutes west of the Microtel on I70.  Take the exit for Bonner Springs and Leavenworth and when you get to the stop light it will be to your left beside a KFC and Holiday Inn Express.  If you find yourself staying in Johnson County there is one at the Great Mall at the 151st St exit off I35 in Olathe.