[eDebate] countless my lais in iraq--bush=hitler

Jake Stromboli infracaninophile
Tue May 30 18:56:14 CDT 2006

US My Lai Massacres in Iraq
??By Dahr Jamail
5-30-6

The media feeding frenzy around what  has been referred to as "Iraq's My
Lai" has become frenetic.  Focus on US Marines slaughtering at least 20
civilians in Haditha last  November is reminiscent of the media spasm around
the "scandal"  of Abu Ghraib during April and May 2004.
?
????Yet just like  Abu Ghraib, while the media spotlight shines squarely on
the Haditha massacre,  countless atrocities continue daily, conveniently out
of the awareness  of the general public. Torture did not stop simply because
the media finally  decided, albeit in horribly belated fashion, to cover the
story, and the  daily slaughter of Iraqi civilians by US forces and
US-backed Iraqi "security"  forces had not stopped either.
?
????Earlier this  month, I received a news release from Iraq, which read,
"On Saturday,  May 13th, 2006, at 10:00 p.m., US Forces accompanied by the
Iraqi National  Guard attacked the houses of Iraqi people in the Al-Latifya
district south  of Baghdad by an intensive helicopter shelling. This led the
families to  flee to the Al-Mazar and water canals to protect themselves
from the fierce  shelling. Then seven helicopters landed to pursue the
families who fled  and killed them. The number of victims amounted to more
than 25 martyrs.  US forces detained another six persons including two women
named Israa  Ahmed Hasan and Widad Ahmed Hasan, and a child named Huda
Hitham Mohammed  Hasan, whose father was killed during the shelling."
?
????The report from  the Iraqi NGO called The Monitoring Net of Human Rights
in Iraq (MHRI)  continued, "The forces didn't stop at this limit. They held
an attack  on May 15th, 2006, supported also by the Iraqi National Guards.
They also  attacked the families' houses, and arrested a number of them
while others  fled. US snipers then used the homes to target more Iraqis.
The reason  for this crime was due to the downing of a helicopter in an area
close  to where the forces held their attack."
?
????The US military  preferred to report the incident as an offensive where
they killed 41 "insurgents,"  a line effectively parroted by much of the
media.
?
????On that same  day, MHRI also reported that in the Yarmouk district of
Baghdad, US forces  raided the home of Essam Fitian al-Rawi. Al-Rawi was
killed along with  his son Ahmed; then the soldiers reportedly removed the
two bodies along  with Al-Rawi's nephew, who was detained.
?
????Similarly, in  the city of Samara on May 5, MHRI reported, "American
soldiers entered  the house of Mr. Zidan Khalif Al-Heed after an attack upon
American soldiers  was launched nearby the house. American soldiers entered
this home and  killed the family, including the father, mother and daughter
who is in  the 6th grade, along with their son, who was suffering from
mental and  physical disabilities."
?
????This same group,  MHRI, also estimated that between 4,000 and 6,000
Iraqi civilians were  killed during the November 2004 US assault on
Fallujah. Numbers which make  those from the Haditha massacre pale in
comparison.
?
????Instead of reporting  incidents such as these, mainstream outlets are
referring to the Haditha  slaughter as one of a few cases that "present the
most serious challenge  to US handling of the Iraq war since the Abu Ghraib
prison scandal."
?
????Marc Garlasco,  of Human Rights Watch, told reporters recently, "What
happened at  Haditha appears to be outright murder. The Haditha massacre
will go down  as Iraq's My Lai."
?
????Then there is  the daily reality of sectarian and ethnic cleansing in
Iraq, which is being  carried out by US-backed Iraqi "security" forces. A
recent example  of this was provided by a representative of the Voice of
Freedom Association  for Human Rights, another Iraqi NGO which logs ongoing
atrocities resulting  from the US occupation.
?
????"The representative  visited Fursan Village (Bani Zaid) with the Iraqi
Red Crescent Al-Madayin  Branch. The village of 60 houses, inhabited by
Sunni families, was attacked  on February 27, 2006, by groups of men wearing
black clothes and driving  cars from the Ministry of Interior. Most of the
villagers escaped, but  eight were caught and immediately executed. One of
them was the Imam of  the village mosque, Abu Aisha, and another was a
10-year-old boy, Adnan  Madab. They were executed inside the room where they
were hiding. Many  animals (sheep, cows and dogs) were shot by the armed men
also. The village  mosque and most of the houses were destroyed and burnt."
?
????The representative  had obtained the information when four men who had
fled the scene of the  massacre returned to provide the details. The other
survivors had all left  to seek refuge in Baghdad. "The survivors who
returned to give the  details guided the representative and the Red Crescent
personnel to where  the bodies had been buried. They [the bodies] were of
men, women and one  of the village babies."
?
????The director  of MHRI, Muhamad T. Al-Deraji, said of this incident,
"This situation  is a simple part of a larger problem that is orchestrated
by the government  the delay in protecting more villagers from this will
only increase the  number of tragedies."
?
????Arun Gupta, an  investigative journalist and editor with the New York
Indypendent newspaper  of the New York Independent Media Center, has written
extensively about  US-backed militias and death squads in Iraq. He is also
the former editor  at the Guardian weekly in New York and writes frequently
for Z Magazine  and Left Turn.
?
????"The fact  is, while I think the militias have, to a degree, spiraled
out of US control,  it's the US who trains, arms, funds, and supplies all
the police and military  forces, and gives them critical logistical
support," he told me this  week. "For instance, there were reports at the
beginning of the year that a US army unit caught a "death squad" operating
inside the  Iraqi Highway Patrol. There were the usual claims that the US
has nothing  to do with them. It's all a big lie. The American reporters are
lazy. If  they did just a little digging, there is loads of material out
there showing  how the US set up the highway patrol, established a special
training academy  just for them, equipped them, armed them, built all their
bases, etc. It's  all in government documents, so it's irrefutable. But then
they tell the  media we have nothing to do with them and they don't even
fact check it.  In any case, I think the story is significant only insofar
as it shows  how the US tries to cover up its involvement."
?
????Once again, like  Abu Ghraib, a few US soldiers are being investigated
about what occurred  in Haditha. The "few bad apples" scenario is being
repeated in  order to obscure the fact that Iraqis are being slaughtered
every single  day. The "shoot first ask questions later" policy, which has
been in effect from nearly the beginning in Iraq, creates trigger-happy
American soldiers and US-backed Iraqi death squads who have no respect  for
the lives of the Iraqi people. Yet, rather than high-ranking members  of the
Bush administration who give the orders, including Bush himself,  being
tried for the war crimes they are most certainly guilty of, we have  the
ceremonial "public hanging" of a few lowly soldiers for their  crimes
committed on the ground.
?
????In an interview  with CNN on May 29th concerning the Haditha massacre,
Chairman of the Joint  Chiefs of Staff General Peter Pace commented, "It's
going to be a  couple more weeks before those investigations are complete,
and we should  not prejudge the outcome. But we should, in fact, as leaders
take on the  responsibility to get out and talk to our troops and make sure
that they  understand that what 99.9 percent of them are doing, which is
fighting  with honor and courage, is exactly what we expect of them."
?
????This is the same  Peter Pace who when asked how things were going in
Iraq by Tim Russert  on Meet the Press this past March 5th said, "I'd say
they're going  well. I wouldn't put a great big smiley face on it, but I
would say they're  going very, very well from everything you look at "
?
????Things are not  "going very, very well" in Iraq. There have been
countless My  Lai massacres, and we cannot blame 0.1% of the soldiers on the
ground in  Iraq for killing as many as a quarter of a million Iraqis, when
it is the  policies of the Bush administration that generated the failed
occupation  to begin with.
?
????Dahr Jamail is  an independent journalist who spent over 8 months
reporting from occupied  Iraq. He presented evidence of US war crimes in
Iraq at the International  Commission of Inquiry on Crimes Against Humanity
Committed by the Bush  Administration in New York City in January 2006. He
writes regularly for  TruthOut, Inter Press Service, Asia Times and
TomDispatch, and maintains  his own web site, dahrjamailiraq.com.