[eDebate] My thoughts on Hanson's All American plan!

Samnelson4 at aol.com Samnelson4
Wed May 31 20:29:48 CDT 2006

I think Jim's plan is better than the status quo. My suggestions to make it
even better:

1) Get rid of the "superduper" exceptional All American and Academic All
American categories. Just have All Americans. I think the "exceptional" category
marginalizes the other award and confuses because he has no sports equivalent
that the uninitiated can latch on to.

2) Have  a process where one can nominate someone who does not fit into
Hanson's strict criteria. The Awards committee can then decide if they want to
award an All American award to someone who does not fit the criteria. For example
say a student starts a program (finds funding, debaters, coaching, etc.) but
has not had the competitive success or the number of tournaments under Hanson's
inflexible criteria-of-iron. I think there should be a loophole so that the
committee can award this person All American honors. This may seem arbitrary. I
call it nurturing!

Best,

Sam