[eDebate] Supreme Court Topic wording issues

J T jtedebate
Tue May 9 14:30:26 CDT 2006

Malcolm Gordon <malgorthewarrior at hotmail.com> wrote: JT-

thanks for the info, that will come in handy.  I haven't done research on alot of the areas you mentioned (yet), but I do think the death penalty would be a great issue.  It was around on the treaties topic, for sure, but there are many students who never had a chance to really debate it.  And, as part of an IR topic, most affirmatives centered around the affect the death penalty has on foreign relations.  To be sure, there are many who may take the same route if it is run on this topic, but the potential for debating the relationship between race, the state, and the death penalty seems to intersect a lot of the major domestic impact areas warranted by a courts topic.

I remeber a few great death penalty debates on treaties...I think we could include it within a larger area of , say LAW ENFORCEMENT?  Maybe that's too broad

Do you think that every case should be centered in one area.  For instance, if the topic was a list, would all of the cases have to do with the environment, or would there be a case for each domestic issue?  (IE a case that focuses on race, one on gender issues, environment, native americans, and so on)

I think there are a few ways this can happen:
("areas" = "issues")

1. one big area ("law enforcement", 1st Amendment/free speech, federalism)

R. That the Supreme Court should overturn one or more of its decisions to substantially increase 1st amendment protections

R. That the Supreme Court should overturn one or more of its decisions to substantially reduce law enforcement authority.

2. a list of say 5-7 areas (too allow many cases and diverse topics...a la the Europe topic)

R. That the Supreme Court should overturn one of its decisions in one or more of the following areas: x,y,z,w,q

3. a list of 3 areas (a little broader in nature compared to the larger list)

4. A list within an area:
 R. That the Supreme Court should overturn one or more of its decisions to substantially reduce law enforcement authority.

PS-JT come to KC and catch a Royals game, tickets are at their lowest prices EVER!!! :(

would love to, but there's a reason prices are so low!   lol

JT

Asst. Debate Coach
Emporia State University