[eDebate] actor/agent counterplans

Travis Neal travisneal
Fri May 12 00:08:27 CDT 2006

I am so sorry to have wasted your bandwidth with our uninformed
thinking, please do continue with the history lesson as I am too
stupid to know to be quiet when someone calls me stupid.

I will attempt to dig through all the ad hominems about our stupidity
and naivety.  If we assume that the critic can only decide between a
plan and counterplan that use the same actor then it seems the
"Congress do it instead counterplan" is still a possibility since the
agent specified by resolutions is the USFG and not Congress/Bush/USSC
etc.  Now it may be possible that this resolution will not be a USFG
agent, but given the years past this assumption seems to be at least
reasonable as a structuring assumption of this discussion.  But that
would clearly be too obvious for the esteemed and well thought out
Korcok, so......

Let us play with your example of purchasing the Toyota Hybrid.  If
the reasons for consideration of purchasing the hybrid involve a
larger gain than your personal satisfaction then it seems there is a
claim to be made as to why it would be more preferable for your 4
neighbors to purchase it.  Of course there is a competition problem
here, but that is substantially different from your jurisdictional
claim that the two cannot compete because the agent is bound by some
history lesson you told us about 30 years ago.

Damn, I love it when people tell me, "I told you so."  Here is where
your post turns funny (not ha-ha funny, which I think you do a great
job at, "semi-frank-shils" made me giggle):

Korcok says:

To argue that the negative would have ground on plenary power
resolutions because the negative could just counterplan that Congress
or Bush change their own bad behavior is no more logical than arguing
that the negative would have ground on "we should discourage violent
criminality" because the negative could just counterplan that those
committing criminal violence turn to happy happy thought-sharing
projects instead.

This is the argument for the plenary power resolutions, but you are
so quick to call us stupid you missed this entirely.  A brief
review:  Some think the Congress reform CP is too powerful against
USSC action, so Lindsay (I think) offers the plenary power
affirmative because as you say, "[a] counterplan that Congress or
Bush change their own bad behavior is ... [il]logical."  She
concludes like you, this is a bad counterplan.  Lindsay's attempt is
not to secure negative ground but to actually limit devastating
negative ground.  Good job coach.

I will agree with you that I do not like the plenary power
resolutions.  I think there are so many more interesting things to
discuss, but I am concerned that plenary power seems to be the best
refuge from this hole we dug for ourselves where the negative
possibly has too much ground.  Your theory objection seems to provide
some solace for the affirmative, but this argument would need to be
resuscitated as it is not our guiding theory these days, which seems
to be our main point of departure, aside from you trying to be the
rude asshole in the playground.

Travis Neal
Pace U.