[eDebate] DCA Humor

Lindsey Lathrop jdicamp
Sun May 14 00:28:50 CDT 2006

Brett, it is correct that you did not say the words "bitch", that was my
take on how "humorless" could be interpreted.  Like anytime a woman gets mad
at something you might think is funny, she's seen as not having a sense of
humor.  This overflow of emotion that is not explainable in terms of humor
is seen as bitchy.

I do not really understand your post to respond to jane in the first place.
Just because she points out that disparaging remarks were made about women
in the post (more than the ones about men), and makes a connection to low
participation numbers does not mean that she was denying that mean things
had been said about men.  Why you were upset about her post is unknown to
me.  There is not a huge under representation of men in the activity, so I
do not really under why you are mad about her making a link about a real
concern in the community.

I'm not making things up to make you look bad; people can decide that for
themselves.  I don't think a public list serve is the place to go into
detail, but ultimately that's probably something decided on a personal
basis.

Matt can fight his own battles, we are separate people and while I don't
consider him to be a "douche" I'm not here to defend him.   So regardless of
how he handles that, he and casey have a long term banter between them, and
none of it involves me so I have just respectfully asked that my personal
choices not pertaining to anyone involved on the list serve not be posted.

While Casey's Strauss's and any other authors might be factual correct on
me, they are not relevant to the post or respectful to someone who is not
even involved.

Yeah Yeah fake boobs are hot, while this is a neat observation, If I don't
want my body to be talked about I think it would be ok for people to not do
that.   I am having a hard time understanding what is difficult about that
request.

No, it's not about being offered a job; it's about being looked at as more
than two vain cups of saline.   I'm not ashamed of my surgery; I just don't
think this is the right place for a public discussion about it.

Brett, here is a simple researching tip.  I think it was in the earlier
1990's that a website called dictionary.com was invented.   Not only is this
a helpful website in everyday life, but it also is useful for topicality
debates.   It seems as though you are not familiar so I have posted the
results below:

con?gen?i?tal    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (kn-jn-tl)
adj.
Of or relating to a condition that is present at birth, as a result of
either heredity or environmental influences: a congenital heart defect;
congenital syphilis.
Being or having an essential characteristic as if by nature; inherent or
inveterate: ?the congenital American optimism that denies conflicts and
imagines all stories having happy endings? (Robert J. Samuelson). See
Synonyms at innate.

[From Latin congenitus : com-, com- + genitus, born, past participle of
gignere, to bear; see gen- in Indo-European Roots.]
con?geni?tal?ly adv.

[Download Now or Buy the Book]
Source: The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth
Edition
Copyright ? 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

con?gen?i?tal (kn-jn-tl)
adj.

Existing at or before birth usually through heredity, as a disorder.
Acquired at birth or during uterine development usually as a result of
environmental influences.

Source: The American Heritage? Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright ? 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by
Houghton Mifflin Company.

Main Entry: con?gen?i?tal
Pronunciation: k?n-'jen-&-t&l
Function: adjective
1 : existing at or dating from birth <congenital deafness>
2 : acquired during development in the uterus and not through heredity
<congenital syphilis> ?compare ACQUIRED 2 FAMILIAL, HEREDITARY
?con?gen?i?tal?ly /-t&l-E/ adverb

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, ? 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

congenital

adj : present at birth but not necessarily hereditary; acquired during fetal
development [syn: inborn, innate, inherent]

And if your internet is not working, you do have your friend Brian Linder,
doctor to be, to help out on the long and sometimes tricky terms.

A defect such as this is considered reconstructive, not plastic or cosmetic
and therefore is covered by most insurance plans.
You may think this is an overreaction, I think classifying it as such is
wrong, and a simple request like don?t talk about my breasts seems
reasonable to me.

Lindsey