[eDebate] DCA Humor

Tara Tate tara_l_tate
Mon May 15 15:42:55 CDT 2006

I could not agree more.  It was a student of mine that actually directed me
to the DCA post.

Listen, I know some people think I take the "moral cop" role too seriously.
Most of you know that I am far from being a prude or a stick-in-the-mud in
my personal life.  However, edebate is a list serv for both high school and
college debaters.   We may not like the fact that our consequences have
actions...we often believe that they should not...that is not realistic.

Many of my parents will google stuff about debate or troll on cross-x.com
because they are interested in what this activity is that their students are
engaged in.  It is very hard for me to justify this activity to the parents
of 14-year-old students with posts like these.  I think many high school
directors formulate opinions about future hires based on judgements they
form from the list serv.  Should they?  Probably not, but they do.

Censorhip or no censorship...people need to remember who their audience is.
If you don't think your lab kids google your name within their first fifteen
minutes of library session at institute, you are flat wrong.  If you don't
think a portion of their parents google your name when their kids call home
from institute, you are also wrong.

Humor is a bit different to a group of fourteen-year-old novice debaters
than it is to a group of 23-year-old grad asses at a bar.

I know an apology was submitted...it is unfair because I am sure Casey/Dave
are taking heat on things that other people have been doing as well.

Probably a day or so late on this debate, but I am glad that Joe initiated a
much needed angle on the high school audience.

TT

Tara Tate
Director of Debate, Glenbrook South
President, National Debat Coaches Association