[eDebate] "Productive" discussions should not be expected here

Malcolm Gordon malgorthewarrior
Thu May 18 13:18:42 CDT 2006

Dr Warner

Our difference in opinion seems to deal with the subjective nature of what
constitutes a productive discussion.  You isolated two categories most of
your e-debate posts fall into-inform/educate/clarify, and
criticize/debate/vent. I agree with this characterization, and it can be
extended to just about all posts. In fact, any given debate round can be
broken into those two categories.  I also think that both informing and
criticizing are important to any dialogue about how to resolve problems.

As far as the part of your post regarding our exchange about UMKC, it was
not my intention to never get back to you.  You posted about program
retention, i'm assuming that post was intended to inform, not criticize.  I
responded with the story of UMKC.  This was mostly to inform, but I suppose
the conclusion of my statement worked to criticize some of your logic.
Afterward, you posted informing me of your (successful) strategy at
Louisville.  I had already said I'd keep you updated, and I will.  I had no
more criticizing to do, and no more information to extract from you or give
you (at the time), so I didn't respond.  I had comments, you gave
suggestions, I have been using them for the last few weeks.  That is a
productive discussion (to me,  I understand that others definitions are
different, so I am only speaking for myself).  I apologize if you were
looking for more input, and I obviously cannot speak for others in the
community and their motivations for not responding to you more.

Now, the topic discussion is a little different.  Dr Warner, your posts are
good precisely because you offer both of the categories you ascribed
yourself to.  You criticize, but you also provide education and information
on how to change things (which will often illicit more criticism than your
venting!!).  The reason topic discussions are not productive is because of
their lopsidedness.  Criticize, criticize, criticize (and for a time i
agreed with many criticisms people had of the topic com.), but never
inform/educate/clarify about what is needed/wanted by the critics. The topic
detractors have been very good at pointing out areas that may need change,
but have not engaged in any talk of how to achieve that change.  This is
especially perplexing given that the criticism was successful in spirit-the
meeting will be webcast, Mancuso and Stables launched a blog with all topic
discussions, and they have been updating publically the direction the topic
com. is taking.  None of their steps have been met with increased input by
those who called out the topic com. for being 'shady.'

I agree with your sentiments about the nature of edebate deterring public
discussion, which is why we have a topic rep.  This avoids the need to post
because your opinions can be expressed with anonymity via a topic rep.  For
instance, the Roe v Wade discussion caused a wave of backchanneling
precisely because many in the community did not want to engage in a debate
on edebate.  Your points about race and style are well taken, and they
probably illicit so much outrage and criticism because they challenge many
foundational assumptions about the nature of intercollegiate debate.  This
is a far cry from discussing whether the environment or civil liberties
should be part of the resolution.  I should also point out that I am only
making these comments about complaining and discussion in regards to the
resolution and topic com.  People were explicitly calling out the topic com
because they wanted an open and public discussion.  You should not call for
those types of reforms if you are not willing to engage in them (this is why
your arguments about minority retention and recruitment are so
compelling-because you 'practice what you preach').  Well, critics of the
topic process preached a lot about open forums, transparency, and public
opinion...why aren't they practicing it?

Please keep in mind I am trying to keep these opinions specific to the topic
com. and wording process, which was being criticized so vehemently.

I would love to discuss your opinions on the topic Dr Warner, but will do so
only through backchanneling, as per your request, so please e-mail me.  I
encourage as many students as possible to post or backchannel me with their
topic-related opinions.  If you don't want to post on edebate, just
backchannel.

For all of you who were crying for a public forum and transparency, start
posting.

For those of you who are just waiting to criticize and debate against the
opinions of those who might post about what they want from the topic, maybe
you could take it easy. JT and Dr Warner are both right, a big problem is in
the nature and tone of how we answer one another's thoughts comments.

burnt end on bun for two, please

HOLLLAAAA!!!

malcolm gordon