[eDebate] Topic Discussion - Areas vs. Cases

Steve Mancuso mancussp
Sun May 21 19:27:36 CDT 2006

Jackie has hit on an extremely important and timely issue regarding the
work of the topic committee - namely whether we should write
resolutions with lists of USSC cases and/or lists of areas.   I can't
speak for the entire committee on this but my own opinion right now is
that we should look into both.

The "cases" approach would generate resolutions roughly like this:  the
USSC should overrule one or more of the following:  Gratz v. Bollinger
(affirmative action), Boerne v. Flores (religious freedom), etc.

The "areas" approach would generate resolutions roughly like this: the
USSC should overrule at least one precedent in one or more of these
areas:  affirmative action, religious freedom etc.

[Please note these wordings are only meant to demonstrate briefly the
issue involved here.  They do not reflect a committee choice on agent,
verb, "precedent" vs. "decision" etc.]

Obviously the list of cases provides more predictability and focus on
controversial issues, the list of areas allows more affirmative
flexibility. The committee has been focused recently on the cases
approach, which is reflected in wording papers linked on the cedatopic
blog.  I expect several more to be posted there in the next couple of
days.   We are, however, about to turn our attention from "cases" to
"areas".

It would be very helpful to us to get a sense of what you (the
community) think of the relatively merits of these options - and if you
have specific suggestions, please offer them.  Now is a great time for
you to have input into the process.  You can offer any ideas or
comments you have to edebate, to our blog (I'll open up a thread for
this discussion there right now) or directly to me or other members of
the committee.

Thanks to Jackie for bringing this up.  I want to remind you that our
blog is at: cedatopic.blogspot.com

Steve Mancuso