[eDebate] Topic Discussion - Areas vs. Cases

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Sun May 21 23:38:06 CDT 2006

i agree with kelly.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu
----- Original Message -----
From: "kelly young" <kel1773 at msn.com>
To: <edebate at ndtceda.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Topic Discussion - Areas vs. Cases

Hello--

I would strongly support a "case" approach simply because I really fear the
direction that an "area" approach might generate. Actually, I guess I am
opposed to the idea of a "one or more" area resolution.

2 concerns about the area resolution as suggested (I know it's not finally
wording yet):

1. Just one of these areas would present an unrealistic amount of cases to
debate. On a broad level, an area like "religious freedom" includes just
about every Native American case, academic freedom, prison religious
practice, religious symbols and holidays, individual practices that are
labeled "religious", etc. Adding to this is the problem of overrule one
precedent in any of these cases. We could overrule evidentary burdens,
presumptions, ultimate findings, etc. in any of these cases. If the aff can
focus on a singular precedent established by any of these cases, then we
could debate about any area outside of RF that's been affected by precedent
by decisions in that area.

2. Having "one or more" areas only compounds the above problem. I might
support an "area" resolution if there's only one area and some suggestion as
to what the overturning should result in...e.g., to increase religious
rights, protect privacy, decrease states' rights, etc.

My concern is that a "case" approach might create far less flexibility in
what the plan can do but would allow flexibility as to how the effect of the
plan can be interpreted. However, the "area" approach would allow way too
many affs unless we narrow the areas and somehow the goal/result of the
action.

My fear is that I am going to see a resolution that is a list of 5-6
unrelated cases list or a resolution of 3-4 areas that are unmanageable and
then have to choose between the lesser evil between the two. I would like to
see some other options between a list of cases or a list of areas.

Kelly

Kelly M. Young, Ph.D.
Director of Forensics/
Assistant Professor