[eDebate] Topic Discussion - Areas vs. Cases

kelly young kel1773
Mon May 22 06:35:06 CDT 2006

Hello--

[Chief'] question: do you consider a list of 5-6 unrelated cases as "evil"?
The above seems to characterize it as such and I am just curious if you were
preferring a list of cases that are related? I think for those preffering a
case approach, that is the next phase of the discussion. Does the community
want cases related or unrelated?

I'm not sure that a resolution ever quite hits the range of "evil" for me.
For instance, CEDA's Mexico topic was annoying, but it still ranks pretty
far below genocide, serial killers, circus clowns and nuclear weapons.... :p

I'm less concerned about having a "list" of unrelated cases IF the
overruling of cases can be understood as liberal leaning, so that there's
some uniqueness ground (this is nothing different than already argued on the
blog). I agree with some opinions voiced on the topic blog that: (A) it can
be difficult defining a liberal action as such; and (B) arguing that the
USSC is clearly conservative is up for some debate. However, as long as the
resolution either increases rights, decreases rights, increases/decreases
protections, etc. I am happy.

The main reason for my last post and the hyperbole is that I don't want the
topic committee to form resolutions based on the assumption that the only
option available is to have "lists" period. If the rez is going to include a
clear direction in action or effect and specific cases or narrow areas, then
I am all for a list. However, if we are dealing with broad areas with an
unclear USSC action in relation to these areas, then I am against it.

When I see the resolutions on the ballot, I would prefer to have some
options in types of resolutions as opposed to a list of resolutions that
simply alter the cases/areas but contain a similar structure of lists. Given
the development of some nice papers on specific areas, I wouldn't mind
seeing a list of cases rez, list of areas, then resolutions that focus on a
specfic area (e.g., RF, Criminal Justice, etc). Regardless, I am pretty sure
I will vote for a list of cases resolution, but options would be nice.

Kelly

Kelly M. Young, Ph.D.
Director of Forensics/
Assistant Professor