[eDebate] Scenarios for case lists

J T jtedebate
Mon May 22 09:56:20 CDT 2006

SPECIFIC AFF ACTION (clear general action with a specific mechanism) PLUS A BROAD AREA/ISSUE BY WHICH TO CHOOSE THEIR SPECIFIC ACTION

debate at ou.edu wrote:If we have cases, what happens when most of the literature says that overturning one case would do nothing, as opposed to no lit that says overturning one case will do a lot.  Then its another negative year.

This is not exactly how that lit goes down (from my survey)....Specific cases can have a ton of lit on both sides...try Korematsu...(maybe that's because of the time case law has had to develop since).  Are you saying overturning Roe or Brown V. Board of Education would do nothing?  If you pick the right cases (ie from a survey of the lit) this should not be a problem.

I am not a fan of lists, and some of the topic wordings on the blog are interesting like:
The Supreme Court should overrule one of its decisions holding that a government action or law did not violate the First Amendment.
This would at least give the affirmative the ability to choose what to affirm, rather than it being etched into the resolution.

I am definitely a fan of a 1st Amendment topic...or at least an area...lots of good debates there....but this wording is a little skewed...there's a double negative...maybe this way:
The SC should overturn/overrule one of its decisions to increase First Amendment protectections.
This version is much more succinct and within the realm of grammar...and it works within aff flexibility concerns.

Having only a few cases specifically to choose from seems boring and cheats us of a broader education concerning the United States Supreme Court rulings.

I agree...although there ARE plenty of cases that would work in a res, it would definitely benefit all to secure aff flexibility to include in the resolution AN AREA OF SC DECISIONS...or a short list thereof...AGAIN, I'd suggest looking into these areas:
-Law enforcement
-1st Amendment
-Health
-IMMIGRATION

This is definately the broad/narrow debate that we have been having for years.  The key question is where is the compromise?

EASY....SPECIFIC AFF ACTION (clear general action with a specific mechanism) PLUS A BROAD AREA/ISSUE BY WHICH TO CHOOSE THEIR SPECIFIC ACTION

Peace

Massey

JT

Asst. Debate Coach