[eDebate] Landmark as a limiting term

Joe Miller gobodog
Wed May 24 07:09:16 CDT 2006

II know I'm kind of an outsider, but I can't resist responding to this
and Ede's previous e-mail. (Besides, I'm hoping to debate at KU's
tournament, so maybe that gives me a bit of a right.)

I would strongly encourage you to word the topic so as to allow a
discussion of desegregation law. It opens up an absolutely fascinating
body of literature. It has shaped our communities more than any other
area of law, in my opinion (and I mean literally; like KC is laid out
the way it is because, in many ways, of deseg). I can understand how
some might be uncomfortable debating whether or not to uphold Brown,
but there are several lesser known cases that came about as a result
of brown that have had enormous impact on American society.

The "landmark" decisions:

Millikin v. Bradley I, 1974 --  "stipulated that a school district had
to be shown to have acted illegally to infringe on the constitutional
rights of minority students. This meant that an all-white district was
not under any legal obligation to join an inter-district desegregation
plan as long as it itself did not practice segregation within its own
district."

Millikin v. Bradley II, 1977 -- "imposing 'compensatory' education
policies to correct the inequities of... a (segregated) system."

Board of Education of Oklahoma City v. Dowell, 1991 -- "allowed a
school district that had been complying with desegregation court
orders for several years to achieve 'unitary status.' Such a district
could be released from the obligations of those court orders, even to
return to neighborhood schools."

Jenkins v. Missouri, 1995 -- Which, in my read of history, pretty much
ended the era of deseg in this country. (At any right, Clarence
Thomas's concurring opinion is easily the most interesting court
document I have ever read; despite its frank attack on affirmative
action, it has been upheld by some folks I know and respect as a
classic work in the cannon of black nationalist writings.)

Lastly, I can think of no more timely debate than one over the 1973
decision in San Antonio School District v. Rodriguez, where the "Court
held that education is not a fundamental right under the United States
Constitution."

Meditate on that one for a second. Education is not a fundamental right.

This decision is fueling a fight going on right now in almost every
state in the union, where there are court cases going on challenging
the distribution of education funds between separate school districts.

To be more blunt: At this juncture in history the question is no
longer, "Was Brown v. Board right?" Brown is dead. The question now
is, "Should we, or can we live up to Plessy v Ferguson?"

All best,

Joe Miller
KCC