[eDebate] FWD: Brown, Affirmative Action & 'overturning' SC decisions

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Wed May 24 11:24:48 CDT 2006

Hello,

For like 5 years Dr. Warner and I have had an ongoing debate about the
Louisville project in which over and over and over I said a) there is room
in most resolutions for the discussion of "race" (so why jettison the topic)
 b) we should push for a resolution that has "race" at its core (or as one
of its area) as opposed to jettisoning the topic.

Now that Ede is pushing for a topic that at least has race at the core of
one of its areas I am going to 100% support him. I think so-called
desegregation is one of the tragedies of american education.  I particularly
liked his suggestions below:

 "All of this on Brown just means the topic goes the other way.  Resolved:
That the Supreme Court should re-establish Brown vs. Board of Education as
the precedent for racial desegregation in education.  OR overturn one of the
cases that has eviscerated Brown like Miliken."

In any event, the prime mover in American society in terms, at least, of
public attitudes, has been the Supreme Court.  We should debtate it.

Josh

ps.  Hopefully, this doesnt mean that the summer will turn to winter and the
seas will boil.