[eDebate] Courts Topic/Race-Class-Gay Rights

Pacedebate at aol.com Pacedebate
Fri May 26 14:02:28 CDT 2006

In a message dated 5/26/2006 1:36:22 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
delliott at kckcc.edu writes:

2.   What I find particularly odd, and quite frankly it took one of my other
coaches to point this out, is that none of the case area being discussed
deals  with Gay Rights.

I know that my initial foray into a wording paper didn't generate a
substantial amount of discussion but I wanted to point out that there is a solid  gay
rights aff on the first amendment topic I proposed. There is good literature
arguing for an overturn DADT on first amendment grounds. There is also good
literature defending that overturn should be on equal protection or privacy
grounds i.e. counterplan ground.
Clearly, it isn't a topic that focuses just on gay rights but that aff is
there for folks who want it and it isn't overly biased given the alternate
grounds counterplan. In fact, IMO the equal protection grounds is probably  better
however the DA to the perm is questionable. overall, a good debate that
gives the aff "the liberal" side of the issue without tubing the neg.