[eDebate] Court topic - need area input from community

Gordon Stables stables
Fri May 26 14:09:48 CDT 2006

Over the last week or see I have seen a reasonable amount of discussion
that favors an area approach to the topic. It generally works where
someone says 'lists are bad' and then says 'areas are good.' I feel as
though there is a lot of support for giving the community a lot of
opportunity to guide the topic, but we need some more perspective on
what you mean, by 'area.'

One reason that cases have an intuitive appeal is that they are narrower
than an entire body of law in a particular subject. This doesn't mean
that areas wouldn't work quite well (I think they might be great), but
that if we want to use areas we may need to select fewer diverse
subjects and instead have a greater emphasis on certain areas.

I am not sure what Darren is referencing when he speaks of the 'silence'
on Ede's proposal for the inclusion of race and class, the blog features
new work done specifically to address community input for this aea. What
we need now is less silence across the board. If you feel that an area
topic is best, which of the following would make the best choices? Which
options work best together? Which items wouldn't make the best choices?

I will open a post on the blog http://www.cedatopic.blogspot.com/ to
keep the conversation organized, but please let us know. This is the
list of areas that the committee has been considered, suggested and/or
is working on:

- Abortion
- Affirmative Action
- Executive Power/ War on Terror
- Federalism (federal remedies for violence against women)
- Eminent Domain
- Death Penalty
- Education (including school desegregation)
- First Amendment
- Right to die
- Plenary power (Immigration, pres power, Native Americans, US
Territories, etc)
- Criminal Law
- Pornography
- Religious Freedom
- Gay Rights

Thanks for your input.

Gordon

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.

Director of Debate

Annenberg School for Communication

University of Southern California

Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913

http://usctrojandebate.com
 <http://usctrojandebate.com>