[eDebate] On reforming the CEDA All American Awards

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Wed May 31 10:53:46 CDT 2006

i agree with sam but have a different take on the solution. here's what i
proposed to the exec committee:

the process is unnecessarily time consuming for coaches who have to fill out
a recommendation form and then for the committee who has to read all of
them. it is also arbitrary. there is not a set criteria for each committee
member to pick their top 30. further, there are questions about how many
students from one team can receive an award, whether someone can receive an
all-american plus a baby jo, etc. further, limiting the awards to just 30
restricts our recognition of some great kids.

here's my suggested solution, give all-american recognition to any student
who meets the following criteria:

1. has competed in ceda debate for at least 4 semesters with at least 2
tournaments during each of those semesters.
2. for all american, has a minimum gpa of a 2.0 and has been in elimination
rounds at 5 or more tournaments.
3. for exceptional all american, has a minimum gpa of 2.0 and has been in
elimination rounds in senior division at 10 or more tournaments.
4. for academic all american, has a minimum gpa of a 3.5 and has been in
elimination rounds at 5 or more tournaments.
5. for exceptional academic all american, has a minimum gpa of a 3.5 and has
been in elimination rounds in senior division at 10 or more tournaments.

when submitting, the coach would state which award the student is seeking,
would state the student's gpa and list the tournaments where the student
advanced to elims and in what division.

allow students to receive baby jo awards in addition to all american.

have no caps on the number of students receiving recognition from any single
program.

use nice certificates instead of awards to save money and provide more
flexibility since the number of recipients is going to vary more (maybe we
already use certificates--sorry, i'm forgetting).

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu