[eDebate] My thoughts on Hanson's All American plan!

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Wed May 31 21:55:25 CDT 2006

sam and others

i put in gpa/awards won that i think would be good but i'm definitely not
locked into those numbers. sue suggested 2.5 gpa for all american--fine with
me. eric suggested 3.8/3.9 for exceptional academic all american. that's a
little bit high for my tastes but again, i'm all good with it.

i like the "exceptional" awards but i'm also not locked into that.

and, sam, i am all for a separate group of awards for kids that help start
programs/do something exceptional in promoting/helping ceda debate. to some
degree, i feel that kids like that deserve something with more special and
specific recognition than all american debater. but if all american is the
avenue for that recognition--that's fine by me. i agree 100% with the
nurturing metaphor even if my advocacy appears to be an "inflexible
criteria-of-iron." ;)

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu
----- Original Message -----
From: <Samnelson4 at aol.com>
To: <hansonjb at whitman.edu>; <edebate at ndtceda.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:29 PM
Subject: My thoughts on Hanson's All American plan!

I think Jim's plan is better than the status quo. My suggestions to make it
even better:

1) Get rid of the "superduper" exceptional All American and Academic All
American categories. Just have All Americans. I think the "exceptional"
category
marginalizes the other award and confuses because he has no sports
equivalent
that the uninitiated can latch on to.

2) Have  a process where one can nominate someone who does not fit into
Hanson's strict criteria. The Awards committee can then decide if they want
award an All American award to someone who does not fit the criteria. For
example
say a student starts a program (finds funding, debaters, coaching, etc.) but
has not had the competitive success or the number of tournaments under
Hanson's
inflexible criteria-of-iron. I think there should be a loophole so that the
committee can award this person All American honors. This may seem
arbitrary. I
call it nurturing!

Best,

Sam