[eDebate] Graduate Assistant Openings at GSU

Dr. Joe Bellon debate.gsu
Wed Nov 1 12:09:55 CST 2006

Georgia State University will have at least one (and as many as three)
graduate debate assistantships open for the Fall of 2007. We are seeking
folks with strong debate skills who are interested in getting their M.A. or
Ph.D. in communication. Some things you might consider when making your
decision:

*** GSU was ranked #3 among "up and coming rhetoric programs" and #16
overall in rhetorical studies by the 2004 National Communication
Association. We pay competitively, and offer you opportunities for teaching
as well as working with the debate team. Our outstanding relationship with
some local high school programs also offers you opportunities to earn extra
cash on the side. Oh, and we actually care that you have a successful
academic career, so we won't destroy your life for the sake of more cards.

*** Our debate team is (finally) nationally competitive. We travel a full
schedule all over the country, and graduate students have meaningful input
on what their role on the team is and what tournaments they attend. We
believe in argument diversity, so no matter what niche you like, we're
interested. Have you seen our current assistants?

*** Our debate team is committed to diversity and is actually diverse. We
were the first school to qualify an all-UDL team for the NDT and are, as far
as we know, the only school ever to qualify two teams of former UDL debaters
for the NDT.

*** We are involved in nationally unique outreach programs, including UDL
programs in multiple cities, after-school programs for UDL debaters, and
outreach to needy middle school students. Our graduate students have an
opportunity to work with these programs and engage in academic research
focusing on our outreach efforts. However, if you prefer not to work in
these programs you are in no way required to. We don't even make fun of you.
Well, not much, anyway.

*** Atlanta is really cool.

*** We are not jerks. No, really. An important part of our guiding
philosophy is that debate should be humane, as well as educational and
competitively satisfying. Oh sure, we're loud and we're probably wildly
inappropriate, but we are all about the love.

If you are interested, or if you have any questions at all, let me know.
More information about our graduate programs can also be found online at:
http://communication.gsu.edu/graduate_programs.html.

Dr. Joe Bellon
Director of Debate
Georgia State University